Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The closed cell foam if cut larger and forced into place would take a significant amount of force to push out. They use this in roof racks and also I think the same name but a different make up for the standing platforms in some kayaks. Malibu for sure uses it and it holds great. Think of it like a stiffer pool noodle compound. But back to the amount of force to push it out...A water hose on full blast wouldn't be able to force it out...it'd take a good deal more than that to remove it. Maybe even if inserted from the bottom leaving just a little protruding might give you a little more security on it.

I wish I had a piece big enough left over. I'd gladly put one together and do some water testing...of course I have a TI yet...so it'd have to be on my PA.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SinkingShip wrote:
You could always used a block of closed cell foam and cut it too fit.

That's a good idea - I'll have to think about it a bit.

Chekika wrote:
The comments about "right of way" and sailboat vs powerboat raise some interesting questions.

Agreed. My understanding of right-of-way is dated and comes from what I remember in sailing navigation books back in the early 1970's. Based upon what I recall, craft under sail trumped all, whether they were encountering boats or ships (boats being anything small enough to be brought aboard a ship - except submarines, which are *always* called boats). Though in practical terms, a ship or large boat ("working craft") under power cannot necessarily maneuver to avoid a craft under sail, so the onus is on the sailor to back down and avoid the larger powered vessels. I always understood the smaller powered craft to be maneuverable enough to yield to sailboats, though I'm going to have to review that based upon your other comments.

Did not know about all of SF Bay being considered a "channel" - that was an eye-opener!

And, yes - I always understood a sailboat under power to be a powerboat. I would also expect that a kayak with a Mirage or Evolve drive to be legally considered a "powerboat" in a court of law.

All that said - I have never challenged a vessel of *any* size under power for right-of-way. I've always been in sailboats under 45 feet in length (mostly much smaller) and considered powerboats to be the top of the food chain because of the lethal damage they are capable of delivering. So when one obviously yields to me, I always take care to acknowledge that with a smile and friendly wave. And if they don't yield, I back off with plenty of space to spare.

NOHUHU wrote:
You may even be able to (carefully) use expandable foam mixes to shape a perfect new plug.

That's a good idea, too.

SinkingShip wrote:
The closed cell foam if cut larger and forced into place would take a significant amount of force to push out.

All good, thoughtful ideas - thanks! I'll have to cogitate on them for awhile.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmm…. The plug isn’t exactly a snug fit is it? :?

With our TI we got two sets of drivewell seals. I wonder if fitting one to the plug may help?

You could also try some of those self adhesive seal kits they sell for doors to keep draughts out. They are available in foam or a tube type rubber profile. Not sure if it would stick to the plug?
Remember though you need to have some gap to let water drain out.
I'd try it but the weather here has been terrible (we are in the middle of winter) and on the few decent days we've had I've had to work. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
...but the weather here has been terrible (we are in the middle of winter) and on the few decent days we've had I've had to work. :(
Naw, it just feels like the middle of Winter already. Your Winter only starts Monday!

No pouting, :shock: you guys had a great Summer this year. So many great pic's.

Too soon it will be your Spring again... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Never really thought about this before, but couldn't some foam be added to the plug to seal up the gaps. I was thinking along the lnes of draft excluder foam the type you can add to doors etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

whosyerbob wrote:
Yes, there is a fix on the way to the dealers this week and we should see our fix kit by this weekend. In the meantime we have an order of Spectra kite cord on the way and it should arrive tomorrow. I also plan to do the hack to the internals that was earlier posted.

I should point out that we were aware of the problem from the outset due to this forum (thanks guys!) and caught it each time before the aka went out more than an inch or so. Clipping them back into proper position was simple - just luff the sail and use both hands to reseat it. Took about 5 seconds or so each time.

Cool. I would have done the same and taken out the TI for a spin.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reconlon wrote:
stringy wrote:
...but the weather here has been terrible (we are in the middle of winter) and on the few decent days we've had I've had to work. :(
Naw, it just feels like the middle of Winter already. Your Winter only starts Monday!

No pouting, :shock: you guys had a great Summer this year. So many great pic's.

Too soon it will be your Spring again... :)

Yeah, Thanks for that Bob. :)
I can't really complain about our winters here. It's just frustrating that now I finally have the TI and I can't get out when I want. It's not the cold but the 30knot winds and electrical storms! The TI is the kayak I have been waiting for since 2007 when we got our Oasis!
We have had one sail in light winds but that was enough to convince me what a great craft this is!
Actually back on topic this is a true sailing craft that tacks easily and doesn't need the Miragedrive when sailing most of the time.
It would be great if Hobie came out with a drivewell plug that did seal properly! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for posting the video and trip report whosyerbob. Great job. This will certainly help Hobie flog off a few more.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yup - the drive plugs pretty much just keep stuff in the yak; they don't keep the water out.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos