Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We made our annual visit to GTNP at the end of September to see fall colors and moose. This year we took two Hobie yaks (i14 & Outfitter). We had some nice trips on String Lake and portaged about 100 yds to Leigh Lake. String is very shallow in late September with many places where we had to secure the mirage drives and actually paddle.

The most fun was running on the Snake River. We did this 5 times. We put in from several locations and took out at several locations. In the Oxbow Bend area, we saw lots of moose. While watching a bull, cow, and calf in one direction, another cow and calf entered the river from my left and swam right past me while I kept the kayak stationary. Check out this photo Image

Russ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Russ,
This is a very late reply to your post from last October. Last year I moved from Eastern Idaho to the Gulf Coast of Texas. When in Idaho I had a small Cape Dory sailboat. I didn't want to drag it all the way down here (1750 miles), so I sold it. Recently I bought a Hobie Oasis with a sail option. How I wish I would have had one of these to navigate the Snake River as you did. I do miss the moose and all of the other wonderful wildlife that surrounded us when we lived there but I don't miss the snow and cold of that part of the country. After learning how to break through the surf in the Gulf I know I could easily handle the "Lunch Counter Rapids" of the Snake. Oh well, I'm here now, I have a Hobie and my life learning experience has taken a new turn. Good Luck with your adventures and thank you for sharing it with the rest of us! - Roger