Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am new to the water and GPS's (is this is a word)
I am looking for a GPS that would help me in the water and record my great trips. I would also like the GPS to help me navigate in the car.

Would you share with me what GPS you have and why you got it please.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We were dedicated Garmin users… until we got iPhones. Now with both of us using iPhones (which I'm using to post this response) we have several mapping apps, marine chart apps, weather apps, dedicated weather radar apps, etc. - all on one device.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I got a Garmin GPSMap76CX, largely on Chekika's (Keith's) recommendation. I've had it for about 18 months and it has proven to be a very reliable unit. If you couple it with the Garmin Topo Australia map software, that's all you need for both boating and in-car navigation, though it doesn't have voice-guided instructions. The Bluecharts Pacific (marine) maps are not really that relevant for the type of sailing you are likely to do in your TI. The Garmin is waterproof and floats, but Keith has had problems with corrosion of the battery terminals after prolonged use in salt water. The Garmin GPSMap60CX is, I believe, a slightly smaller unit, with all the functionality of the GPSMap76CX, but it doesn't float. This probably doesn't matter if you mount it securely on your boat, as you should.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

whosyerbob wrote:
We were dedicated Garmin users… until we got iPhones. Now with both of us using iPhones (which I'm using to post this response) we have several mapping apps, marine chart apps, weather apps, dedicated weather radar apps, etc. - all on one device.

That's interesting Mitch. Do you keep it in an Aquapac, and, if so, how does that effect the touch screen?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also a Garmin GPSMap76CX owner here. I fill the small compartment that have the soft rubber covers with di-electric grease and it works well. I use the software that comes with it to post my tracks, like: http://www.trailguru.com/wiki/index.php/Track:D3TS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

whosyerbob wrote:

Mitch and I were closely comparing iPhone apps. I use the Navionics app, which is loaded with tracking, geotagged photos and details of Hawaiian waters. He uses Topo.

A VHF radio and a color fish finder are the only other electronics I feel I want onboard.

And a thumpin stereo, of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would love an iphone; however, I don't think I could justify the cost just to use as a GPS :roll:

so far it is Garmin, It will be interesting if more members make comment

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Mitch and I were closely comparing iPhone apps. I use the Navionics app, which is loaded with tracking, geotagged photos and details of Hawaiian waters. He uses Topo.

I use the "Topo Maps" app at home in Maryland waters because the USGS topographical maps are superior there for shoreline exploring. However, I'm glad I brought both the "Navionics Marine: US East" and "iNavX Marine Navigation" apps with us down to the Florida Keys, as the "Topo Maps" app was useless for this region.

For what it's worth, I don't carry just an iPhone with us when we go out on the water - I carry backups. In this case I carry a Garmin Oregon 400t (which I never use), a water-proof marine VHF radio (I forget the model) and two Motorola walkie-talkies with a 35-mile range (we use these frequently when we are apart from one another on our yaks).

My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
That's interesting Mitch. Do you keep it in an Aquapac, and, if so, how does that effect the touch screen?

Yes, we keep them in water-proof pouches, though I forget the brand. They work well in the pouches, but must be removed for photos as the plastic pouch material really destroys the images and sound. That's why Cindy bought a dedicated water-proof camera - too many compromises with taking video through the pouches.

My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

got a garmin aswell, only annoying thing is the mount. which is crap if you want to keep your GPS in a bag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have a Garmin Oregon, the touchscreen color handheld. It's the iPhone of Garmins and we love it.

It likes water a lot better than iPhones do. Don't ask me how I know, that one is from the list of things I know, but shouldn't.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have used a Garmin GPSMAP76CSx for 6 yr. It has always been protected--the last couple years I have used an Aquapac type bag. The 76CSx has been improved over the years for the better. Occasionally, in the back of my mind, I hear a little voice saying "I wish that 76 would quit so I could get a new GPS." There have been a lot of new devices come on the market, but if I had to buy one tomorrow, it would be another 76CSx. If you know about the WaterTribe Everglades Challenge, you know that is a 300-mile "race" along the southwest coast of Florida--it is very tough on equipment and competitors. Most of the competitors use a Garmin 76.

A friend of mine bought a Garmin Oregon 400. We were going to do an 8-day, 100-mi trip along the Big Bend area of coastal Florida last April. She brought it over so that I could download waypts and routes for the trip. The Garmin software would not work on her Apple computer. The Oregon 400 looked pretty good and I even took it out in the sun where it seem readable. Unfortunately, during our trip her Oregon 400 was worthless--most of the time you could not read the screen and that was just one of rhe problems. My friend returned the 400 to the dealer when she got back.

Here is a quote about the Garmin Oregon 400 from a user review on Amazon (I think it is right on mark):

"If there are any positive reviews about this device they would come from people that never used it. The Garmin Oregon was not designed for outdoor use, I think it was designed to fool the amateurs or people that never go hiking because as soon as you hit the sunny trail, the Oregon LCD screen becomes completely and utterly washed out, you won't be able to read the text or anything at all. It is by far the worse screen I have ever seen on a GPS or any other device and the new DAKOTA series appears to be even worse, probably a silly attempt to save battery power since the screen is so large. The Garmin Oregon sure looks pretty in the shade or inside the store where there is no light or anywhere where there is no satellite reception, such as a forest. Don't buy it. This gadget gets one star for been the dumbest invention with an expensive price tag."

Tom, please done take offense at that quote. If your Oregon works for you that is what counts.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks all for your advise.

I also have a mac and just assumed that these companies would be making software for both mac and PC. You have given me something more to think about :o

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Every tool has its limitations and price.

The screen comments are very relevant here though, and I should mention that the iphone screen is not suited for extended outdoor use in full sun. The weak battery will drain after a few hours of steady use, if you keep it lit up. It's just too small for serious navigation too, but most dedicated gps's are not much better.

However, the newest iPhone 4G has a sensitive compass with true and magnetic bearings, and a better screen and battery. It can auto-orient google maps and other apps as you point in different directions. And it multitasks, letting you check the weather and wind forecasts, play music, take video, google nearby sites and make calls while tracking your trip.

It's a worthy device to have along, close to shore. I could be typing this right now from a sandbar, in fact.

But for serious navigation of crowded waterways or trekking, I would never rely on my iPhone alone.

I use the DryPak case for my iPhone. So far so good.

Looking forward to more GPS advice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe all Garmin software is available for the Mac. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID ... rementsTab

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next