Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Sail Rig
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:50 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Matt

Any chance to see latest sketches of the new sail rig?

Particularly mountings.

I have my new BigA coming in and want to rig it, but want to avoid any problems with the future sail set up which I will probably order (do you need a tester :lol: )

How would one mount a fathometer for example that might get in the sails way,vice versa? And other miscellaneous problems if the rummored outrigger addition comes with the sail setup.

When do you think the new sail rig will be made available?

Aloha

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dan,
Don't know about the new sail as yet, but my guess is that it will be similar to the old sail design, only bigger with more square footage. As you can see in this pic of the BigA with the old sail, there is no probem with the new sail interfering with any of your mountings if it follows a similar design, since there will probably be no boom, as was the case with the old sail.

Post subject: Larger sail rig
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

There is not a larger sail rig being planned as an add on to the current Adventure. The sail is plenty large for the size and stability of the hull. Amas are a possible option we have been working on, but we are not there yet.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
There is not a larger sail rig being planned as an add on to the current Adventure. The sail is plenty large for the size and stability of the hull.

That is pretty surprising that Hobie, the sailing pro, is not planning on designing a new sail for the BigA. My guess is that it will happen eventually, but at the moment they probably have too much on their plate with all the new boats.

But other folks are already ahead (way ahead) of the curve on new Hobie sails, even for the Sport, the smallest sail-ready boat in the fleet. You can see in the pic above how puny the stock 20 1/4 sq. ft. stock Hobie sail looks on the BigA.

How about a 32 sq. foot windsurfing sail on a Sport? That really makes the Sport get up and move. It can even get up on a plane for a short distance! Punchinello, the Hobie Kayak Sailing Master has integrated just such a sail, and has used it successflly in 15-20 mph winds, along with a home-designed and built ama on his Sport. Has never capsized either.

You can read about his amazing sailing adventures with his Sport and a friend's Outback here.

http://kfs.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/ ... 009851/p/2

Here is a pic of his original (pre-windsurfing sail) rig.

Here is a more recent pic of the new leeboard and jib. He has also designed a new, large rudder "sleeve" for use in sailing also that slips over the stock rudder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:56 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Apalach

I see you had your pitot speed indicator up. How much can you get out of that rig:

a. Down wind (I have a small one of these types of sails. Didn't help OC-1 much)

b. Up wind tack. Also how high will she point

c. Cross.

Mahalo

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dan,
Sorry I didn't make that clear--that is a pic off the Hobie Web site of the BigA underway under sail. It shows clearly (at least to me) how small the stock Hobie sail is on a boat that size. When folks are using sails that are roughly 50% larger on the 9 foot Hobie Sport that is almost 50% smaller than the BigA, then it seems like there might be room for some re-thinking on the new, larger sail issue for the Adventure. Just my $.02 worth.
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:24 pm 
Hobie Team Member

IRRC a Sunfish is around 70-75 ft2

You would think with a dagger board and Mirage fins an Adventure could handle it.

Post subject: Larger sail
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:47 am 
Site Admin

We actually reduced the kayak sail size shortly after introducing the option originally. The larger sail was just a bit too much for the majority of people. We have learned over the years to stay within the mid-range skills area a bit when producing products for distribution. There are always people able to handle more powerfull rigs, then again there are those in windier areas that would have trouble with the current sized sail.

I didn't say that we are not looking at the idea...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hear ya Matt! I sort of figured that might be the problem. Perhaps when you folks get the new ama kit developed, that might be the time to think about increasing the sail size. I know I sure am a lot more comfortable sailing my Outback with even the present sail kit when I have my lobster pot buoy outriggers installed. While on a beam reach, for example, I just don't have to worry that much about being a tad slow in slacking off on the mainsheet when a good gust hits unexpectedly. As always, thanks for the info.
Dick

Post subject: Re: Larger sail
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
The larger sail was just a bit too much for the majority of people...
Sails probably need to be kept standard for future races. :wink: I've already experienced conditions that caused steering with the rudder to be compromised. Rolling seas made it easy for the wind to whip the kayak in undesired directions due to the kayak leaning more than wanted and lack of any rudder in the water. Was real glad to hear there is the option for a bigger rudder.

Post subject: Re: Larger sail rig
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:18 am 
Hobie Team Member

mmiller wrote:
Amas are a possible option we have been working on, but we are not there yet.

Matt

With the sail down I can see the amas being used as fishing stabilizers for standing up or a higher seat position.

Any chance the yakus being one piece that stretch across the hull ama to ama?

If so what about a modification to accept a seat post?

Example.

The yaku stretches across the yak, is drilled out at one spot so a post can be inserted into a tube patched to the inside ala the mast.

When not sailing the amas can act as stabilizers for a paddler (peddler? :P )

A lighweight pivoting seat is then inserted similar to those on bass fishing boats. Gets the fisherman up higher with a 360 capability. You would be using any beefup of the hull for sailing to double as a seat accomodation

Another alternative is to use the mast tube after dismounting the sail. Would it have to be beefed up?

Just some crazy thinking.

Aloha
Dan
PS: I only have a week to go until my BigA arrives.