Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First post, I guess. I've been into Hobies and racing since 1980 but seriously inactive these last few years. My 1987 H-16 (sail #90255) made it back into the water finally a few days ago. Skipper, crew and boat survived. I almost forgot how much fun it was. Winds were steady 15-18 mph in New Bedford harbor.

I'm most interested in links and connections for Hobie activity in eastern MA and southern NH. Links to my old fleet (496) seem to be dead. If I understand correctly there's only one points regatta in Division 12, for the whole summer??? Can that really be? What's up with the Hobie scene in this part of the country?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Rafe,

Good to hear your back on the water, there's never enough of us around! From what I heard the buzzards bay Hobie fleet fell apart a few years ago as did most of the MA area Hobie racing scene. There is NESNA (nacra, mostly) and CRANNE, (again, mostly Nacra). There is a newer Hobie fleet based in Maine , fleet 207, Bil Wiedner is the commodore. I sail with Fleet 448 which is based in rhode island and sails mostly in Narragansett bay. They mainly do fun sails but I'm very interested in getting more racing going. It always bums me out that I have to drive to a lake 7 hours away, leaving RI, (which I will argue is one of the best sailing spots around!) to get any NAHCA points races in! Some people also drive down to NY and NJ to race but that can be a really awful drive with the summer traffic in the area. We are actually having a casual race ( no points) but still fun and bragging rights at the RI Hobie dealer! It's called the Megrews Cup and it's not this weekend but the next one, on Saturday in Quonset point, check the website for full details http://www.fleet448.org and see if you can make it. We are also thinking about doing the Hobie Kenobie regatta (points) in Buffalo in three weeks, it's a long drive but usually not mich traffic, inlike going south! Glad to hear your sailing again and hope to see you on the water soon!

I love these calm moments before the storm, it reminds me of Beethoven...

'02 Hobie Tiger USA 1152

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, Blair, thanks for the info. Not sure if I can make this weekend's events, but maybe...

FWIW, if you're willing to drive to Buffalo -- another one of my old fleets is 295 out of Rochester NY, and they used to put up one heckuva regatta at Hamlin Beach State Park on Lake Ontario, just a few miles west of Rochester. (I almost wrote "Hampton Beach" which is where 496 used to do their regattas.)

Anyway, I won't be doing the 295 regatta either (I'll be out hiking in Maine.) But it used to be quite the event. IIRC one of the NY fleets (204 ??) did an annual regatta on Sacandaga Lake up near the Albany, NY area.

PS: Do you know what became of the fleet on Sebago Lake? They used to own a beautiful chunk of beach and had some nice regattas.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

http://www.fleet448.org/Schedule.htm#PDF Heres the link to 448 and other kinda local events. The Megrews Cup is in 2 weeks, the 17th, plenty of time to get yer boat ship shape! Ive sailed the MadCatter two years in a row with the folks from Rochester NY. Youre talking to the reigning "16-C" fleet NorthEast champion!!! Never mind it was only one race against one other boat, thats COMPLETLY besides the point :wink: Points is points!!! Fleet 204 is a great group of people, Ive gone up solo both years and made lots of friends and had fun. We've also sailed with the people in Maine, from St Eibohs Cove, which is fleet 207, if we are talking about the same place. They have a fantastic little beach up there, with tons of room for camping and a big great room with showers and all that. Long story short, there is Hobie sailing in NE, just gotta hunt for it a bit. See you on the water!

I love these calm moments before the storm, it reminds me of Beethoven...

'02 Hobie Tiger USA 1152

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As an alumnus of Fleet 295, I used to grow weary of the "TWO OH FOUR" chant at all the NY regattas whenever one of their people got a trophy. But since that chant came up a lot, it was clear they had some good sailors in their ranks.

I will definitely make my way up to a Sebago event as soon as the opportunity arises. It may not be until late August, though.

I have a dusty box of trophies in the basement, but never made it out of B fleet. Maybe that was a blessing in disguise.