Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone got some key launch spots around Baldwin County or Gulf Shores.

perferable with a easy boat launch or close beach spot with driveable launch spot

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have always like launching in Pensacola Beach at the Chicken Bones launch site ,Fort Pickens Road.That ramp is bay side right next to the last group of condos.Great beach to set up on and very little traffic there.I can take my time to rig my 21.I feel safe there too...........I realize this is east of Gulf Shores some 30 miles or so as the crow flies.....Bill 404 21 SE

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just happened to go by that lot yesterday scoping out all possible launch spots... they've put up a lot fence for most of the parking lot, but I think you could still back a trailer up to that NW corner and launch w/ cat trax ..

also a very cat-friendly launch spot is about 200yds on the left past the toll booths going from Gulf Breeze into Pensacola Beach ... it's a one-way pull through that anyone can back their trailer right onto the sound-side sand ( pleasant beach I think it's called ) , and the sailing shop is just a 100yds south ( Key Sails ) There is also a nice ramp next to this area for a full water launch..
Also, there are also a couple of spots for a Gulf launch that could be done between Pensacola Beach and Navarre, in the National Seashore lots/access ... you would have to have cat trax though..

cheers !

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry boys, pensacola isn't in the great state of Alabama.

derek, There are 2 boat launches in Bon Secour at Billy's seafood and Aquillas seafood. There are several places to launch off of Fort Morgan Road. Marinas like Zeke's will launch anything. Beach access is available if you have the cat trax at perdido pass (although a pretty long walk and don't touch the sea oats). Make a friend at Cotton Bayou, Bayou la Launch, or Wolf Bay. In general any condo complex on a lagoon or bay is going to have a beach area with a launch. Scope it out.

Pirates Cove might be the best place though, look it up. Forget about driving to pensacola.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tips Branson,

I pretty much drove all down Ft Morgan one day driving down ever road access, i found about 10 decent spots, but most need a Trax wheels ( i made my own set, having used yet though=)

I got a friend that has a private launch down near Wolf bay, but it takes about 10-15mins depending on wind, to get out of the small canal area before you get into the open.

I also got a friend that lives on the little lagoon im going try to use also, thanks for the tips

i just redid my boat for the past 2 months ever weekend, now i just need some damn wind !!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

derek,

No problem, I live in Auburn but my old lady has a nice place in bon secour. I just got an old '76 hobie and the next weekend I get down there I am going to try to sail from Bon Secour around Fort Morgan to Perdido pass, and depending on the wind back up the intercoastal to Bon Secour or just turn around. I was down for the weekend of the fourth and the wind was crazy 20+ kts.

Happy Sailing
Branson