Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Florida AI/TI owners
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Name: Jon and Jennifer
Handle: tspbrady (and Jennifer isn't registered, but I call her Witchypoo :lol: )
Model: Tandem Island
Where do I sail: Miami/Upper Keys area...

Used to own a 29ft sloop years ago, but now wanted to get some excercise, do some exploring and sailing as well...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome Jon and Jennifer.

We'll be sailing the Tandem from the Hawks Cay Resort in Duck Key the weekend of 7/30 - 8/2. Everyone is welcome to join us for some cruising, snorkling, and fun racing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK!! AI/TI/Kayak camping time in South Florida has arrived.

We are planning an AI/TI/kayak trip next week, Nov 17-20. Leave at 1:00 pm, Wednesday, Nov 17, from Chokoloskee for Pavilion Key. As usual, this will be a thrilling fishing trip--if that does not pan out, at the very least you can enjoy one of the premier islands in the Everglades. On Saturday, Nov 20, we return to Chokoloskee about 1:00 pm. Long-range weather forecast is for beautiful weather and light winds (there may be "isolated showers" on Thursday with 30% chance of rain.)

Any kayakers who want to try out an AI will have an opportunity.

If you are interested, drop me a line at kwellma AT bellsouth DOT net, or post a message here.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Heads up! Planned Flamingo to Chokoloskee Trip, Jan 10-15 or 16, 2011

This year's 6- or 7-day trip along the Gulf coast of the Everglades from Flamingo to Chokoloskee is being set up. The very tentative schedule will be

Jan 10, 2011 Flamingo to Middle Cape Sable (15 mi) or Northwest Cape (19 mi)
Jan 11 Mid Cape/NW Cape to Highland Beach (23/19 mi)
Jan 12 Fishing day/relaxing--fish Broad River or Lostman's River. If you don't fish, relax and enjoy Highland Beach. HB is a terrific place to spend some time.
Jan 13 Hi-Land to Hog Key (7 mi) Catch fish along the way. Fish sandwiches for dinner.
Jan 14 Hog Key to Pavilion Key (13 mi)
Jan 15 Fishing day/relaxing. Pavilion is justifiably referred to as the "Gem of the Everglades." Pavilion is a guaranteed “fish fry night.”
Jan 16 Pavilion to Chokoloskee landing (9 mi)

Several trip reports in this area have been posted on another thread-- The link to last year's AI trip in 2010 is http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=90
Scroll down until you see the title, “Flamingo to Chokoloskee Trip, Jan 13-Jan 18, 2010.”

If only 2-3 AI owners do this trip, I can arrange the logistics. If there are more, we will have to be creative to shuttle people/cars around.

If you have any questions, ask them here or send an email to me at kwellma at bellsouth dot net.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Our Everglades National Park 7-day trip (Flamingo to Chokoloskee) is shaping up nicely. We have 4 AIs and 1 TI doing the trip. We will launch from Flamingo ramps at 11:30 am, Monday, Jan 10 and arrive in Chokoloskee at 12:30 PM, Jan 16.

We will spend a few days on Pavilion Key—a great destination for AI/TI campers. Specifically, we will reach Pavilion on Fri, Jan 14, spend Saturday fishing, walking the beach, taking pictures, and just relaxing. We will definitely have a fish fry Saturday night and, with luck, Friday night. Sunday, we will sail on into Chokoloskee.

For those of you interested in AI/TI camping in the Everglades, come out and join us on Pavilion Key. If interested, leave a comment here or drop me a note at kwellma at bellsouth dot net. Do it soon, so I can coordinate anyone coming out.

Those doing the trip from Flamingo to Chokoloskee are Charlie Fast (TI) from Tampa, Rick Parks (AI) from the Orlando area, Bob Quirk (AI) from just N of Miami, my wife, Nancy (AI), and myself (AI) from SW of Miami.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not sure how to register into this group, but am looking for like minded AI/TI owners in Florida.

Name Bob and Theresa
Handle Fusioneng
Model 2010 Tandem Island, 2007 Revolution
Where do I sail: Mostly Sarasota Bay and Key west

I'm out there pretty much every weekend (year round) finding new adventures, being Canadian 60 deg water is like summertime to me, wife is Native Floridian and water must be 85 or higher before she'll go out. We are also avid Scuba divers and love to combine our hobbies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob--are you going to the WaterTribe launch Saturday, Mar 5, at Ft Desoto Beach? There is a lot of activity Fri afternoon as people get everything ready for the launch.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith:
I will absolutely be there, plan on taking my boat and meet and rub elbows with these guys, I really want to enter next year.

What is the best time to get there. I'll probably be launching from City Island (Sarasota) and it's a couple hour haul up there with favorable wind. If the winds aren't right I will probably drive up and launch a little closer (probably Ft Desoto launch).

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They launch at 7:00 AM, Saturday. You don't want to be in front of the launching beach when that happens. The sun is just coming up over the horizon. Very picturesque. I'm going to be very interested in seeing the new AI/TI rudder--Jim Czarnowski, the engineer who developed the TI will be their with his charming wife, Ocean Diva. He will certainly have the new rudder. Charlie Fast, Bosab, with his TI will be there; and, he is supposed to have the new rudder since his got his original destroyed on our aborted Flamingo to Chokoloskee trip. There will be a several AI/TIs in the Challenge.

Time to be there? I'm going to get there about 6:15 AM or a little earlier. Look forward to meeting you.

There will also be a fairly large contingent of WCTSS people (West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron). This is an informal group of people who sail small boats. Most are located in the Sarasota-Tampa region, but they are from all over. They have a small boat gathering in Cedar Key first weekend in May--May 7-8 this year. My wife and I usually make that--lots of interesting & unusual boats there.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have not been to an Everglades Challenge launch, but may try to get up there this year. Have to check with the social director.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jumped in last week and purchased a tandem island!! We have been having a blast on it!

Name: Drew and Randi
Handle: TEDA 5
Model: Tandem Island
Where i sail:Tarpon Springs, North Pinellas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We need to assemble the fleet.

One of my other boats is a Com-Pac Sun Cat, a 17' catboat with a little cabin. There was much forum discussion of sail handling and speed tweaks to the boats, and the whole thing struck me as very funny. The Sun Cat is one of the slowest sailboats on the planet. It has plenty of redeeming features and we love ours, but it is just plain slow and nothing is ever really going to change that very much. Striving for the little changes is the fun of sailing.

A few of the discussion participants, myself included, are former Corsair trimaran owners. They have a funny tradition called the Corsair Nationals, and I went in 2004. A great regatta with fun people from far and wide, but "The Nationals"? No one could tell me why. The answer is: because everyone says so.

With that in mind, I made a little joke about holding the Sun Cat Nationals. One thing led to another, my joke spun out of control, and last November I hosted (and, embarrassingly, won) the first Sun Cat National Championship Regatta.

It was fun meeting everyone, and we're going to do it again this year, likely with a lot more participants.

I met Keith from this forum very briefly on the beach as we were watching the start of the Everglades Challenge last Saturday, then seeing this thread today made me think we need an Adventure Island Nationals! That name isn't taken yet, is it? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Tom,

Definitely great meeting you at the WaterTribe Everglades Challenge start last Saturday. Nice to put a face w/ a forum name.

You have a good idea. A dealer here in MIA tried to do something similar a couple years ago, but it did not have a lot of participants, and the dealer sort of dropped the ball.

You probably have to get the ball rolling...

I've suggested that we should have an informal get together at the WCTSS group small boat gathering in Cedar Key--always held the first full weekend in May (May 7-8 this year.) They have a lot of interesting small boats. A couple AI/TIs usually show up. My wife & I will be there this year.

I'm headed out today to camp on East Cape Sable for a couple days and to wave at the Hobie AI/TIs in the EC2011 as they pass by.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have always wanted to go to the Cedar Key thing, but it would be kind of hard for me. We host a 4 day Memorial Day party every year, and the preparations pretty well occupy the month of May.

Piggybacking on an existing event would be fun, though. Anyone else like the Cedar Key idea?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm interested in meeting in Cedar Key sometime but like Tom the first weekend in May is bad for us because we have a family reunion out of town the next weekend. It's also Mother's Day which will stop a lot of people.

How about a weekend in June?

2008 AI

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next