Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Last weekend while sailing my TI on a starboard tack, close hauled, in fairly strong winds. a power boat crossed in front of me throwing a large steep wake. When my port ama hit the wake it submerged and the rear aka popped out. (I know I should have tied them in but I never had a problem before.) The port ama folded in and I went for a swim.

The boat ended up on its side with the starboard ama sticking up about 6 feet above the water. I released the main sheet and swam around the back of the boat. I knew if I could reach up and grab one of the handles I could right the boat. Then the fun began because you can't see the handles from the water when the boat is on its side. (I never thought to feel for the one under water to figure out where they were.) After numerous attempts a friend came over with his kayak and guided me to where the handle was and I got the boat up.

I recommend that you take a permanent marker like a Sharpie and mark the bottom of your hull so you can see where the handle is if you ever get in this situation. I am 6'3" tall and in pretty good shape but it is very difficult to get far enough out of the water to reach the handle so believe me when I say you will appreciate it if you can grab it the first time and the lines won't show while the boat is right side up.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations dosjers! :wink:
You may be the first to post about flipping the TI. :shock:
I'm interested to know why it stayed on its side. Was the mast stuck?
Had you done the aka latch or collar upgrade mod?
Thanks for the idea re marking the handle location.
I'm glad it all turned out OK. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm curious, when you say you didn't "tie them in" do you mean that the bungee was not attached, or do you mean that you think we should also be tieing a line where the bungee attacheds to that AKA as insurance in case the bungee jumps, or something else???? (only 'cause I live in fear of tipping this puppy over :cry: )

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tspbrady,
He's refering to the stopgap solution of tying the port and starboard aka's together to prevent them popping out when underway. The aka lock buttons on early TI's have this problem.
Your TI should have been fixed at the factory. :)
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=26527
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=25900

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gotcha, thanks!

:P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry I haven't checked the Forum for awhile.

When the boat got knocked down the sail hit the water and stopped. This is very normal for any sailboat because the sail is very difficult to push through the water.

No I have not had the aka modification installed yet. The dealer tried but one of my akas, the one that popped out, had 2 missing screws, 1 screw that was sheared off, and one installed properly. Because of the sheared off screw they ordered a new AKA for me. In the meantime I am tying my akas together.

Do any other TI owners have a problem with their sail bag? If I put the top of the sail in a corner of the bag I can barely start closing the bag at the bottom of the sail but I still have an opening the size of a half dollar. I'd include a picture if I could figure out how to do it. Matt says all the bags have this nproblem but I haven't read any other complaints about it.

2008 AI