Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H16 or Tiger?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

a few days ago, i was talking to a friend who bought a 1985 Tiger, tried to singlehand it, and crashed it. It has a hole in the sail (he repaired) and a gash in one of the hulls (i haven't seen how far in it goes, but 'll be able to repair it.) He offered me the boat for 800.00. I looked around, and that seems to be a great price for a Tiger. However, I'm a junior sailor and my dad is questioning wether i and my crew could handle the sail area. Knowing I could pick up a 16 for 800 easily, What do some of the racers think? Would it be better to take the tiger or go for a H16 in terms of sail area? total crew weight will be about 265lbs. I'll be racing it regionally.

Also, can the H16 spinnaker package be used in racing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're right, that's a great price! But, check that boat again, the Tiger was introduced in 2001.

As far as your being able to handle it, you are a little light, but you can grow into it.

Class rules don't allow a spinnaker on the H16. For learning the catamaran, the 16 is a great starter boat and inexpensive. A little less of a "handful" than the Tiger. If you can make a 16 go fast you'll excell on any cat.

Welcome to the world of Hobie Cats :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wonder-maby it's a H18? I know it has a Spinnaker and wings, but again, i haven't actually seen it. If it is, is it worth getting an 18, considering they aren't made anymore? and if its not, should i still look for a tiger or a 16?

BTW, i've sailed catamarans before, and i'm also an avid laser sailor. I'm looking to invest into the racing scene. The tiger looks more fun (a.k.a. spin), but the 16 looks like it has a larger class. Any comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd check Hobie Cat Division 12 to find out what is going on in your area, where your nearest Hobie fleet is, look at racing results on their web site and see what class has more boats. The class sizes vary all across the nation. You may have to travel some distance within your Division to get the class size you want, i.e. Tiger, but I'm only guessing, contact your local fleet and ask them what they're sailing. There may be few 18's to race against.

The boat would be a H18 Magnum or an H18 SX, depending on wing style, Magnum wings are shorter and welded, SX longer and riveted, the SX also has a taller mast, and possibly a Mylar main (there are fewer SX than straight 18's so again, see if you'll have any competition).

The spin is not class legal for racing, but certainly would enhance the performance and be good practice if you eventually end up with a Tiger. The running rigging will be much more similar to the Tiger as opposed to a 16.

Check out the 18/18SX forum for more particulars of what to look for in an 18.

Post subject: Tiger, H20 or H16
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I good Tiger that is capable of racing competitively will be in the neighborhood of $8000 to $12000 used. A used racing H16 will run about $2500 to $4000. These are ruff numbers and you may get lucky but...

It really depends on your needs and budget. I sailed 16s for more than 15 years, when it was hot, lots of competition. Sailed H20s for about 5 years and now sail a Tiger. I had to go with the competition in order to be able to sail in large fleets. I really like the Tiger more than the others for being able to have a nice sail in all conditions. I can sail "for fun" in light or heavy wind. H20 was a great boat for most winds as well. 16 is best in winds of 12 or more and starts to get exciting in about 18. Light winds on the 16 I, personally, would stay home.

The Tiger is double trapped in about 8. If you double trap to weather you are single trapped downwind with the chute. Great Ride!!!

I would make sure you have a racing scene in your area whatever boat you decide on. Pick the biggest fleet. Remember that a Tiger is also a Formula 18 which opens you up to more competition.

Later,
Dan

Post subject: H16 or Tiger?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie Tigers go back as far as 1996 i should know i have a 1999 sail num 376. But it is probley is a H18 unless you got the dates wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Too late, the guy offering it already sold it...

Any suggestions though on buying a H16 or a Tiger? I want to invest in a class that'll be around for a while, aka Tiger, but like I said before, they're expensive and i'm light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Again, I'd refer you to a local fleet. Attached is the link to your Division 12. Look up the 2005 season results to see what is the most popular boat and email or give someone a call.
http://hobie-div12.org/

Dan summed up very well the differences in the boats. As I said you'll "grow" into a Tiger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

16. Easy to sail, easy to right, easy to train crew, huge racing fleets everywhere, and easy to sell.
Tiger is a complicated animal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is Gavin Colby,s(who I have heard knows somthing about sailing cats) take on it.The Transistion from a 16 to a tiger in terms of sailing skills is easy.Tiger back to a 16 much harder.Get a 16 learn to sail it right and go to the tiger from there,or who knows you might be like some of us who enjoy the 16 so much you just stick with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it's an 85, it sounds like you have a Hobie 18 Magnum, with an after market spinnaker. I have allways wanted one of these, however some things to consider.

Most of the Hobie Points regatta's there are no other 18s, and while most of the time you can go out and start with the 16s and get scored seperately, how competitive is that? You will not be able to race in a Hobie Points regatta either, as the spinnaker is not class legal.

The only regatta's you will be able to race in with the spinnaker are the open fleet regatta's (The 18SX has a portsmouth # with the cute).

I would go with the 16, you will allways be able to race it, they are a blast to sail, and if you at a later date want to move up to another boat, you will take those same skills with you.

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

if you do get the tiger, dont do this

http://www.wetasschronicles.com/HobieCartwheel.wmv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

But that looks like SOOOO much fun..

And isn't that how you attract chicks?

:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, chicks dig it, bones heal, pain is temporary, glory is forever.