Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:35 am 
Hobie Team Member

Pardon newbie stumbling here.

I'm assembling my outfit slowly. Picked up a Penn International rod. It has a notched base on the butt.

My neighbor says thats to fit in a pin(s) at the base of a tube holder. He says keeps the rod from twisting in the tube. And the tip facing in the right direction.

I gather the ball mounted tube holders like RAM use the ball and lock nut to rotate the tube to the angle you want for trolling.

But is the RAM tube (others) equipted with these "gimbal pins". How does the word "gimbal" enter the equation?

Another site says their rod holder swivels so the tip always points in the right direction?

No pictures of the inside of the tube or a schematic can I find that show how this stuff works.

We are looking at some pretty fair size fish here when I troll. Mahi mahi and ono.

Any help on rod holder info would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan,
Those notched rod butts fit in the steel rodholders that are part of fixed fighting chairs on big sport fishing boats that regularly go after marlin, sails, tuna, and swordfish. They are also on some fighting harnesses.

They are of no use to you, and may even cause you some problems when you try to find a comfortable way to hold them, because the metal butt is somewhat sharp and will dig into your stomach or leg. See if you can return it for a "regular" rod with a flat base in the same style. None of the "normal" rodholders that you would be using on a yak will have these pins in them, as you have already noticed.

They are called "gimbal" because the rodholder can move up and down around a pin while fixed in the fighting chair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:15 pm 
Hobie Team Member

The rod may have come with a gimbal cover, several of my bigger ocean rods have a little rubber butt, like a cane tip, that slides over the brass to protect my fragile gut when wrenching on big fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:45 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Mahalo guys.

Got it figured out.

But see new question on compass in main kayak forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:45 pm 
Hobie Team Member

OK here's the poop.

My new RAM tube mount comes with a build in ridge on the bottom to accept the rod. Not pictured anywhere in the literature, nor mentioned in any web descriptive text.

With the ball mount it is easy to then rotate the rod when trolling so the spline is the correct position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dan,
I just went out and checked my RAM tubes, and danged if you aren't correct! Never noticed that built-in ridge in the bottom of the tube before. The thought had already occurred to me that one could easily rig one of the RAM tubes for those rod butts by drilling a hole thru the tube at whatever depth you wished and then inserting a SS machine screw from one side of the tube to the other with a nut on the far side. Bur if the rod butt notch is big enough to fit the stock RAM tube ridge, why bother? Good job!
Dick