Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi everybody, I wanted some advice on whether I should keep my Hobie 14 or move up to a 16. My 14 right now has only the mainsail but by next week or so I am getting a Jib and while installing that I am also putting on trapeze wires. But there is someone who is selling a 16 at the beach that I sail at and I am wondering whether I should upgrade to a 16 or keep my 14 that I am putting on a Jib for.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In my opinion H14's are better for solo sailing while an H16 is better for 2 or more on the boat at a time.
H14's can handle two light adults but an H16 will handle them much easier and provide more buoyancy.

I would say if you sail >50% of the time with another person on board, go with the H16.

Also, I would imagine righting an H16 by yourself is very difficult unless you are heavy or have a righting bag from hobie cat ($150+).

I have limited experience on H16's but H14's are not alot of fun with more than 300 pounds on board.

Cdogg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

if you have the money i would definetly upgrade to the 16, i did the same thing last year, and i am mostly a solo sailer, and the 16 is way funner and faster. but an advantage of the 14 is it is easier to handle with one person, but i would much rather have the 16

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is keeping both a posiblity?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a 14 turbo, and an 18SX... but the club has 16s.

The 14 is really cool... but in waves and chop, and with a friend... it's pretty limited.

I'd go for the 16, but have a righting pole or bag and be sure I could right it by myself....

of course... if you weigh probably 200+, you might be able to right it without that stuff....