Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ILhobie wrote:
Hey Mark:

Rick White out of Ohio has fabricated a "super Wave" with a bow sprit and a screacher rigged up for lighter air. He claims he can take H16s with it in the right weather. Check out cat sailor or just google super wave and rick white and you should find it.

Good Luck

Mark White

Thanks Mark, I am taking a look now.

1983 Laser
1980 Swinger (AUS)
1974 Manly Junior (AUS)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, that set-up is sweet. Expensive but sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Hooter is a sweet sail. Attaching the sail's hardware to the boat has some questions for me. Plus I don't know what the hooter would do to righting the boat.

If you make a change in a boat, you have to not only consider the benefits but the "side effects" as well -- some of which may not allow you to continue to enjoy the, ah, previous benefits, if you know what I mean... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, lets get a grip here. I'm sure the Wave was designed to certain load factors, and with the current sail plane, is well within the design specs. Sure, you can add the Rick White Hooter, or something similar and sail in light to medium air and still be within the design specs.

BUT, I know what's going to happen. Someone will start to think, I wonder how fast the boat will go if I sail in Heavy air with the Hooter, and add another body to hold the boat down. Sooner or later, probably sooner, something is going to break. Don't know if it will be the comp tip or the chain plates will rip right out of the hull, but something is going to break. Maybe we should start a pool on which part?

The reason I know this is because when I had my Solcat It was blowing like stink, put 2 really big guys on the trap, and I was hiking out. Was a wild ride until I broke the mast.

So go ahead and think about adding sail area for light days, but you won't be able to resist trying it in heavy air.

Charlie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You know the more I think about this and read this stuff, I am pretty darn happy with my Wave. It may be a little pokey on light days but adding the spin may be fun and the boat is just so easy to sail and rig I really don't want to "step up" to anything else. I may just have to add something to ny garage in the future.

Charlie raises some good points....If there was a boat just like the Wave but just a little bigger I would be very happy.

This has been interesting though...Take it easy everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My design doesn't stress the mast, and it's a lot cheaper than Rick's.
And it looks silly too! :D

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Naw....that doesn't look silly........ :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wonder if an EZ Up awning would work? More "sail" area.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That would be cool! Similar to a giant spring-loaded window blind, with the "axle" between the bow tips, and a halyard to hoist it like a square-rigger sail. In heavy winds, you only hoist it part-way.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Always wondered if it was a shock to the designers that the Wave is being treated like a performance boat of sorts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I owned a Getaway, and also tried a wave.
Can the Getaway be sailed solo ? Absolutely. Is it fun ? IMHO, No.
Getaway is a great boat if you want to carry a family, or really don't want the sport factor of a 16.
I think it is significantly faster than a wave.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to try the wave in heavy wind, in which I heard the wave shines, but in light wind, the boat is a dog.
The hull feels very heavy for such a small boat, very like the getaway's hulls.

I am not sure the getaway is an upgrade to the wave, those are 2 boats for different sailing situations.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Portsmouth Ratings on the Wave and Getaway are... 92 versus 83.

Crobie, you do mention a good point about speeds in various conditions, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We must remember the Wave was designed as a training boat. It is awesome in heavy air as I know from personal experience but is underpowered when the air lightens up. That is due to its design and intended purpose. Someone said on here every boat is a give and take of different qualities. What I have determined is that I need about 3 or 4 different cats. A Wave for those high wind days I want to just get on the water fast and easy solo, a getaway for taking a big crew out for a party ride, and a 16 for double handed performance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am sure Hobie would agreeon hvaing multiple boats. It's having the room that is my main contention... Superwave. 14 or 15 foot and 20 ft of additional sail area? Matt, can you give us an understanding of Hobie's position? Are they contemplating any new designs?

1983 Laser
1980 Swinger (AUS)
1974 Manly Junior (AUS)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife and I started with a Wave and after a couple of years, picked up a 16. The 16 is a blast, lots of speed. It does require much more maintenance and rigging time. Always have trouble stepping the mast on the 16, but that's just me. I see plenty of people doing it as simply as we do with the wave.

The 1st thing we noticed with the 16 is how easily it cuts through the water, much smoother than the wave and of course, the power.

That said, I'd love to see something like the Hobie Twixxy from Europe come over the pond. Looks like much of the simplicity of the wave, but an extra foot on hull length (always afraid of pitch pole with the stubby wave), more sail area and a jib (optional) and trapeze.

Matt, any realistic chance of the twixxy coming over?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next