Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler Leak
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a Pro Angler in March and after about 20 uses this summer, it suddenly has quite a significant leak. I was on the water for 3 hours and noticed the boat was leaning/tipping slightly to the left. I went to sore and found about 3-4 gallons of water inside the hull.

I got it home and noticed that the leak seems to be from inside the mirage drive well, the left side behind the drive connector piece. I'm disappointed because I really baby this thing and it's already leaking? Is this a defect or a known issue? Seems for $2200 it should be more durable than this.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Pro Angler Leak
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Take this to a dealer - that is the fist thing anyone should do in the caseof a leak in any kayak product

- Please contact a dealer near you by calling 1800hobie49 toll free.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought mine last year and have fished it quite a bit but I baby mine also. I have had n o leaks. Call your dealer. Hobie makes good stuff and I'm sure they'll back it up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies... I will be bringing it in tomorrow. Hopefully it won't cost me an arm and a leg.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Your PA is fully warrantied, contact your dealer and the problem will be resolved. Interested to know what exactly to look out for. Post back once you find the fix.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Last Friday I took the leaky Pro Angler in to my nearest Hobie dealer: Ski Rack Sports in Bangor Maine http://skiracksports.com/ ... over an hour from my house. They were really nice and helpful. Jay told me that there have been only a handful of leaking issues with the entire mirage series sold from his shop. He also said Hobie was really great at making things right when it comes to leaks. He said he would fill it with water on Saturday and confirm where the leak is coming from.

Today (Monday) I got a call from Dave from the same shop asking for the rest of my info so he could get the process started with the Main office. After all the details were communicated he mentioned that it could be up to a MONTH before this get's resolved. He said he's in the process of another claim and it's been 2 weeks and still hasn't heard back from Hobie.

This really surprises and disappoints me because that seems like a really long time to confirm a leak and issue a fix? He said I could come get it and use it until it gets resolved but I'm not sure I want to go out on the water with something that's taking on over a gallon of water per hour... which will probably get even worse with more use.

Summer could be over by the time I get this resolved so I am severely bummed on that hand but also hopeful that things will work out in the end. I mean.. if it meant getting this resolved quicker I would offer to pay or split the costs or whatever. Time is more important to me than the money it will take to fix it.

Does anyone know why the process takes so long? Especially just to hear back from Hobie's main office?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Out of curiosity, has anyone else had to go through a similar process? If so could you let me know how it went and how long it actually took to get things resolved? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bradfitz when i had my leak it took about a week to get a new replacement you should try contacting hobie direct maybe being alittle pain will get it done faster.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

if it is shipping from Hobie it depends on when the truck is heading your way. Many times the dealer will take from his stock to get you up and running then put the shipped hull into stock when it comes in. I have had 2 hulls replaced and they were brand new off the line at Hobie. One took 6 weeks the other 3.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Contact Matt Miller at: [email protected]

He's a good guy and will get you answers quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

UPDATE:
Just got a call from Dave at Ski Rack Sports... I was expecting the new hull to be delivered today... it hasn't even shipped out yet. (From California to Maine) Looks like it won't ship out until next Tuesday 8/31... will be lucky to get it by the first weekend in September. Totally bummed this is taking so long. 4 weeks and still counting..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bradfitz wrote:
Last Friday I took the leaky Pro Angler in to my nearest Hobie dealer: Ski Rack Sports in Bangor Maine http://skiracksports.com/ ... over an hour from my house. They were really nice and helpful. Jay told me that there have been only a handful of leaking issues with the entire mirage series sold from his shop. He also said Hobie was really great at making things right when it comes to leaks. He said he would fill it with water on Saturday and confirm where the leak is coming from.

Today (Monday) I got a call from Dave from the same shop asking for the rest of my info so he could get the process started with the Main office. After all the details were communicated he mentioned that it could be up to a MONTH before this get's resolved. He said he's in the process of another claim and it's been 2 weeks and still hasn't heard back from Hobie.

This really surprises and disappoints me because that seems like a really long time to confirm a leak and issue a fix? He said I could come get it and use it until it gets resolved but I'm not sure I want to go out on the water with something that's taking on over a gallon of water per hour... which will probably get even worse with more use.

Summer could be over by the time I get this resolved so I am severely bummed on that hand but also hopeful that things will work out in the end. I mean.. if it meant getting this resolved quicker I would offer to pay or split the costs or whatever. Time is more important to me than the money it will take to fix it.

Does anyone know why the process takes so long? Especially just to hear back from Hobie's main office?

Maybe because they main group of problem solvers are out of country until September 1??? Most of the time I have had turn around in less than two weeks.... Some dealers might work harder for their customers then others??? Anyway the dealer has to be the strongest link in getting you a replacemnt yak.... Good luck with the solution. You will get a new hull in the process.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just called Ski Rack Sports this morning for an update 9/13/10... Replacement hull is still not in. Even Dave (who has been super through this) seemed surprised at the time it's taken. It's been 2 weeks since he was told it had shipped from the company... 7 weeks since I brought it in. I am so frustrated and disappointed with Hobie right now.

Before I get flamed for being an ingrate, Yes - I am grateful that it is warranteed and they are issuing a replacement but I would think it would be a given after only a couple months @25 (babied) uses regardless.

7 weeks is just so hard to swallow for me... the best part of the summer up here in Maine... the worst part is not knowing and not feeling like I've gotten strait answers from the main company... constantly hoping it will be in "tomorrow."

Even with Hobie's warrantee I will not be recommending the mirage kayaks to anyone due to this experience. Just being honest. I wouldn't want my friends to go through this.

And thanks to all who have contributed to this conversation here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie is a great company, but communication on shipping, and getting warranty and replacement parts out the door has often been a problem. Still better than any other company in products and warranty, but an area which could use improvement.