Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 14 vs Hobie Wave?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I have been sailing my Hobie 14 for 10 years. I love my 14, but, have always held back sailing it to its full potential because I can't right the boat on my own. I'm a small sailor weighing 115lbs, have a hobie bob, have tried the water bucket method, swim the tip of the mast so it's pointing into the wind, and have gotten plenty of advice/help from my local fleet. I simply don't have the 'ballast' to right it.

I love the Hobie performance, but, am considering selling my 14 and getting a Wave (or something else? I am open to suggestions...) I really want to sail a boat to its full potential and start racing again, and be a self-sufficient sailor that can sail on my own without the fear of there not being someone out there for extra ballast to help me right my boat. So, I'm looking for a boat that's fun to sail for an experienced sailor, that I can right myself, and that's fairly quick to setup - any thoughts?

Thanks so much for your advice!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Steph,

I've got exactly the same problem... I'm considering either a Wave or a Bravo. The Bravo is much smaller, but must be easier to right.... I am curious how the speed/stability of the Bravo and Wave compare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steph; for what it's worth you don't want the tip of the mast pointing into the wind, but rather somewhere so that the bows and mast are about 45° each off the wind. I find I prefer the mast to be more like 75° off the wind and the bows at 15, but whatever.

Best of luck!

Jim

Post subject: hobie wave or 14
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

well steph the 14 goes a lot faster it is a fun boat. But, i have a 14 and a wave. the wave mast is easy to set up. the sail is easy to raise. there is no boom. i just came back from sandals in jamaica... there were 6 waves there, all the fiberglass hulled boats were disabled because of the coral knocking holes in the hulls. the wave is tough. it sails good and fun in the ocean. if the boat tips it is much much easier than a 14 to right. i love the wave. its not the fastest boat in the world but it is easy and fun to sail. i spendig 30 or 45 minutes to set up a boat. the wave is a nice boat. i like the wave so much i am thinking about adding a bravo to my fleet. i have a 14, 16, sunfish, and wave. the wave is my favorite for performance and ease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steph, Jim and rb,

Not trying to hijack the thread but I just did.

We're all pretty close to Division 14's 14/16 only regatta coming up in early May in Oklahoma. Would be nice to put some faces with names. Should be loads of fun with friendly competition.

Post subject: regarding regata in may
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK. you are in lawrence but the regata is in oklahoma? I would rather come to lawrence because i like mass street music. If i am off the regata weekend I will come with a 16. Do you know the date? thanks randy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi John!

I'll definately give some thought to coming to the Oklahoma regatta in May; although it will depend on whether I'm traveling for work or not that weekend - I'll keep my fingers crossed!!! :) And I guess I'll need to remove my 'bob' since they're not class legal, eh? Hope there's not BIG wind or I'll be swimming with the fishes! :)

Say, I just wanted to pass along that I HAVE A SOLUTION to righting my boat!!! This is so exciting!!! A member from our fleet happened to be out one weekend this fall when I was trying out yet another righting experiment with yet another water bag. He happened to have an extra "Upright Solo Righting System" (pg 18 of the Hobie catalogue, looks essentially like a type of shroud extender?), we hooked it up in just a couple minutes, and the boat popped right up on a dead calm day (so no assistance from wind)! HURRAY! The only downside is it isn't class legal, but, can be carried on board and then hooked up in case of emergency... Good enough, I say, to go have FUN!!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rbrazz wrote:
OK. you are in lawrence but the regata is in oklahoma? I would rather come to lawrence because i like mass street music.

Randy,

I know the tentative dates of Div. 14 regattas as we are in the process of forming a Hobie Fleet, unfortunately it may be next year before we host a points Regatta at Clinton. They (www.div14.hobieclass.com/) should be posting this years schedule soon.

Please let me know when you plan to visit mass street music again, bring your boat, or leave it at home and we'll find a spare trap wire for ya! We've got a few club events planned for this year also so please drop us a line and we can keep you updated. [email protected]

ps ever been to fly by night music in Neosho, MO?ps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steph,

Glad to here you found a solution to get the pointy side back up!

Hopefully you can experiment with some of the suggestions given here to find a class legal solution also. I guess maybe if you blew over and had to right using the shroud extender you could disqualify yourself for that race?

Hey, how about getting a 16 or some other two up boat, and a 170 pound crew?
:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Steph,
I just started to race the Wave and while it is a fun little boat, I still prefer my Hobie 14. I weigh closer to 130 pounds and expect I'll have difficulty righting her when the situation calls for it. However, it is worth the risk. I usually sail when others are out and certainly during a race there are plenty of helpers. Worst case is the one race would be thrown out. If you prefer one design racing then you might want to get the boat with the largest local fleet. Otherwise, I'll sail my Hobie 14 til the bitter end,,,,,
Marlene