Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Small Surface "Patch"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did a pretty extensive search through the forums and I just don't know where to start.

I have a 1994 Hobie 16. There is a small section (about 2" by 2") where gel coat has been scratched away the trailer. The scratch goes down to the glass in some places and it is driving me nuts. I have read on the forums about repair, and I am wondering if there is an easy way to do a small repair like this. Is gelcoat the way to go? For a repair this size, to I paint and sand, or go out and buy the works in order to spray it? I am also confused about all I read about waxpaper, plastic covering sheets, and curing ingredients. I would like the repair to be "invisible" when I am finished.

Really, what is the best way to go in this situation?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:40 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

A picture would really help here.

If it's down to the glass, but not through it, then gel coat is all you need. Sand the area with coarse sandpaper, clean with acetone and make a putty of gel coat and fumed silica (WEST System 407) until it's the consistency of whipped cream. Don't mix it too much - you don't want air bubbles in it. Catalyze it, and "butter" it into the area. Cover with a piece of wax paper and press out the air bubbles.

After it goes off, remove the wax paper, sand it nearly level, then work up through the grits wet sanding (320 / 400 / 600 / 800 / 1000). Use a block to keep the area flat. Then machine buff the entire hull with 3M Rubbing Compound followed by 3M Finesse-It II.

It'll look like it just popped out of the mold.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i am looking to buy a boat,but the owner said somebody backed into it and there are two little holes(see pictures in link). can anyone tell how much work it would take to repair this? also how much it would cost?
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/treyum/Hobie/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Read MBounds post above, its the exact fix for your problem, probabaly wont need the silica though. Not much in cost $30 maybe, I would just buy a gel coat scrach/patch kit from hobie or west marine.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:34 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

scoutsailer wrote:
i am looking to buy a boat,but the owner said somebody backed into it and there are two little holes(see pictures in link). can anyone tell how much work it would take to repair this? also how much it would cost?
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/treyum/Hobie/

An experienced person could fix that nicely (but not invisible) in an hour. Invisible might take another hour or so, depending on the difficulty of the color match.

You can do it yourself, but because the repairs are so small, you end up having to buy 10x what you need if you want the invisible repair (gel, compound, polishing compound, sandpaper, etc.).

Probably cost $100 if you had to buy all the materials (and you'd have lots of leftovers).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the recommendation. I'd post pictures if my camera was working. I think this will be a pretty easy repair job. Not as easy as not scratching it in the first place though!