Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It was really blowing nice today for single-handing, 10-15 mph pretty steady from about 11am on. So, I grab my trap harness and set sail. I get out into the main channel and it's occasionally white capping with lots of dark water, winds from the SW. I'm ripping it up on some reaches, one eye on the leeward bow, no problem. Getting really comfortable now and showing off a little for the passers-by on pontoons, jet-ski's, etc. Nothing quite like flying a hull out on the wire solo, except when the mainsheet slides off the tramp to lee and you can't blame anyone but yourself. Then here come's the "Catawba Queen" dinner-tour boat loaded to the rails with paying customers. Show-off time! I move closer to the party yacht with blazing speed, spray misting out from the lee bow soaking the trampoline. Make a couple of passes to the cheers and hoots of the crowd, feeling on top of the world. At this point, it's the best sail of the summer. I bear off and take it easy for awhile to rest my stomach muscles. I'm feelling pretty satisfied and tired so I decide to head back to home. Still out on the trap I'm pinching the wind pretty much as hard as you can on a H16, bearing off just enough to keep the speed up. Then wham! Windshift! I'm dunked into the lake before I can react. First instinct is to loosen the main - can't it's jammed against the traveller, crap! I'm still snapped into the trap wire -can't move to the other side. It's all happening in slow motion and I know it's too late. Down she comes right over my head. I finally manage to get free from the trappeze and swim around to the other side to get up on the lower hull. Once up I do some reaching and streching to get my righting line, stand on the bow to swing the mast to windward and pulllllllllllll. nothing. Okay, lets try the shroud extension. I reach up and pop it loose, the upper hull is working with me now. Get her pointed back at the wind once more and leannnnn. Getting a little response now, a few bounces to get the mast tip up and the wind peeled that sail right up and out. I grabbed the dolphin striker as it came down and jumped back on board. re-attached my shroud, sorted out the lines and set off for the trailer. Whew, gonna sleep good tonight!

I never would have gotten her back over without the shroud extender unless I had some outside help.

The following video was taken some time later from my original post but thought it shows how good this works. And for anybody whos afraid they will demast, I think it's impossible with the mast keeper. In this video I actually had both extenders popped loose.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QgZvzv21Mk&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Last edited by SebringSixSpeed on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

WOW , great story .. What is a "shroud extender" ? I'm not familiar with it .. I guess I could look it up heh heh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've seen them but have no idea how they can come into play when righting. I understood they were for making micro adjustments when racing, but righting????

If it ain't a blowin', I ain't a goin'

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Straight out of the Hobie CATalog. not used for making shroud adjustments, only for temporarily disconnecting (extending) the shroud without an accidental demasting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ahhhhh thanks, I thought you were referring just to part 10049 Shroud Extender on page 18 of the current catalog. Appreciate the clarification Sebring. I can't totally tell how it works but it looks like 1263 and 10049 work together, is that right?

Funny, I posed a question about a similar technique using a trap line for righting on another thread believing it would offer greater mechanical advantage over the dolphin striker. I got several responses saying that trying to right your boat using the trap wire would be like trying to pick yourself up by grabbing your feet - Someone even threw in trigonometry. ??? With the solo system I don't see much mechanical difference with them both ultimately attaching to the tang. Check this out:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27599

Anyway, do you (or anyone) have pictures of the solo righting system installed, or even working?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's not so much a mechanical advantage with the location of the mounting, the whole point is that it gets the hull that's up in the air past the vertical point and over to the side that you are on while standing on the lower hull. Now instead of using a righting bucket or an extra person you have the weight of the upper hull also helping you to pull the rest of the rig. I'll post a picture of the system installed later today.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Okay, here it is in the ready position, you can see I still have full adjustability of my shroud location.

Here it is with the quick release pulled and the shroud extended, but kept from going completely free by the shackle and wire extension.

And for safty's sake this nifty wire keeps the mast from ever falling out of the base yet still allows free and full rotation.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I couldn't figure out for the life of how this worked! Now I get it. It allows the upper hull to tilt out a little and gives a little assist with weight of it as you are leaning out on the righting line. It seems as though it may be a pain trying to get the shroud connected again while the boat is wanting to take off. Is the pin that is attached to the extender a quick pin?

Sail #11

Hobie Mirage Classic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, it's a quick pin. It was included as part of the kit from Hobie. I know some people would be freaked out to use a quick pin on the shroud but let me assure you that I have had this setup installed for the last 5 years (even though this is the first time I've actually had to deploy it) and the pins have yet to bend or break. I usually have crew with me to help right the boat so no need to use it til I flipped it solo the other day. We've been out in 20-25 mph winds double trapped with multiple pitchpole capsizes during that time, and no problem with the pins. These little quick pins are tougher than you may think. Getting it hooked back up is not really a problem, you just need to be luffing and be quick with your hands.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow Sebring, this has been nothing short of an education. THANK YOU. Thanks for taking the time to go out and take the snaps, posting them, plus the explanation. I think I might have to add this to the ol' mod list.

I see you're not using the 10049 shroud extender gizmo, any reason why? Would it make single-handedly re-attaching the shroud line easier or unnecessary?

Also, on the nifty master keeper, is that the third line in the catalog?

So many questions......

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have heard that with the shroud extender, it is possible that you can de-mast because of the extra length in the shroud as the boat comes over.
Can anyone verify this?
I've de-masted one time and I would rather turtle than have that happen again!
Thanks!

Keep the pointy side up!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There was a thread some time ago discussing the whole demasting thing with the extenders, if you look around for it you could find it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is anybody having experience with the Big righting bag from Murrays ?
From other threads, it seems to work fine, but I am not totally convinced.
My current (small) bag is leaking so much that is is useless. I did seal the stiches, and it is better, but I need a bigger bag for solo, and I'd like one leak free.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jman ~ A: Not using 10049 because I'm not sure if if would work in conjunction with 1263 and not sure how useful it would be. The master keeper is the third line in the catalog.

eric ~ A: Demasting is definately a possibility when suddenly loosening a shroud. That is the purpose of the (white covered) wire in the 3rd picture that wraps around the lower part of the mast and is secured to the base. It will prevent demasting in most circumstances (I did say most, not all...lol)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That white covered wire holding the mast in place while using the shroud extenders is a good idea,did it come with the extender kit? Bill 404 21 SE