Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here ya go! A map and a vid from our adventure last Sunday - 14.6 miles and a top speed of 5.8 knots:

http://tinyurl.com/2dcmqfx

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHYncPunxeI[/youtube]

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice video and looked like a great day to be out on the water. I am assuming the Potomac is a river, are there strong tidal flows and if so how did the TI handle them.
Some of that jelly footage is really good and loved the little deserter, just couldn't make it's mind up between the two.

Curious as to how much water you pumped out at the end, was there much ? Front hatch the culprit ?
Was wondering if they have managed to fix/minimize the amount of water that seems to get inside the AI and now TI hulls.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the nice comments - I'll pass them along to Cindy!

Yes, the Potomac is one of the major tributaries for the Chesapeake Bay and is about 6 miles across at the mouth. There is a confluence sandbar just below Point Lookout itself, and we've got that showcased in some of our other videos we've posted here. We have encountered some pretty stiff tidal currents all around the Bay; the TI handles them with ease under sail and with a *lot* of extra effort while pedaling. In fact, in some tidal currents I have been barely able to maintain steerage while pedaling at full speed with the sail furled - to move ahead requires Cindy to pitch in and pedal with the front Mirage Drive as well.

As we keep pushing our boundaries with the TI - faster transits, longer sailing periods and rougher conditions - we keep getting more and more water down below. On Sunday it was the most yet... about a gallon and a half, maybe more. That was due to me opening one of the 8-inch ports while a rooster tail was coming in through the Mirage Drive well; those 8-inch ports allow a lot of water in! At the end of each sail now I'm having to use the hand pump to remove the majority of the water because it's too much for simple towels or sponges. Doesn't appear to impact our performance on the water, and we never see it until we pull the TI out at the ramp.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Enjoyed the video, nice editing.

I have let water in through the hatch as well. I am now a bit more careful of opening the 8" hatches - and try not to open unless sail is furled. As water can pour in there quick as I found out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I get a lot of water in my AI, specially when carrying the scuba gear, I have fitted an electric bilge pump inside the rear hatch, I removed the drain bung and have a one way valve sealed in there so I did not have to make a hole for the pump out hose (thread not damaged, still original). It works quite good for when I am scallop diving etc and there is a lot of water in the hull.
Batteries are twin 12v 7amph which I also run my GPS/FF off.