Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The wife and I just purchased two Hobie Kayaks with the Sportsman Package. The Wife got herself a nice Sand Color Sport and bought me a Sand Color Outback. :lol: They are 2005 models don't know the Serial numbers yet, I'll pick them up this week end. I just hope I don't have the Dreaded Outback Crack problem........I got a Little Paranoid after reading various post about the Crack Problem around the Drive Well. However I'm sure Hobie will stand behind their products if this problem should surface. Can't wait to Flyfish the Sod Banks in Barnaget Bay, NJ.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Rick,
A hearty welcome to the Hobie Forum, and congrats on the new boats! I wouldn't worry too much about the OB leak problem. It mainly applied to a certain mold run produced in the early to mid-2004 model year, as I recall. Hobie went to work on a solution and has strengthened the hull in that area in the past year or so. But unlike a lot of yak (or other) manufacturers, Hobie sticks by its customers and acts very quickly to resolve any warranty (and in some cases, even post-warranty) problems without a lot of (or any) hassle to the individual! Great to know that there are still some companies out there that will quickly respond, and take action to build a satisfied customer base! Have a blast (and I know you will) with your new boats.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome Rick:

We also have an OB and Sport. I did have the crack in the Sand OB. It was a 2005 model that was built in Sept or Oct 2004 (If I interpreted the serial number correctly). Hobie and the local dealer got the replacement to me in about 2 or 3 weeks (red this time).

I continued to use the old one with the crack (duct tape) until the new one arrived. Unfortunately the new hull won't see the water until next April or so (winter here). In any event...don't worry. If it cracks, you'll get a new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep Doc--helps to know that good ole duct tape is a reasonable temporary fix. I have heard that other folks have used chewing gum when on the water and a leak developed. Did you apply the duct tape on the outside or inside? I'm still half expecting the problem to show up on my sand OB from that time period also, but so far, so good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Ap:

Greetings from the Tundra...snowing and 30-40 mph winds here today...wish I was going on one of those Gaffe trips.

The first time I went out post crack discovery, I used the tape on both the outside and inside and got no water inside. On subsequent trips, I only put it on the outside with the same results - no water.