Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So we took the new SC out a couple of weeks ago, and while racing a trimaran we caught a gust which put us in the drink. Being a recent monohull convert, this was my first time to dump a catamaran. Me and my crew were all sitting on the windward wing (didn't have a trap harness yet), and all went flying when she capsized. One of my crew made it unscathed, but the other hit the mast on the way down, and I fell straight onto the lee wing with my tailbone (not until it was +/- 9 ft. directly below me).

So now, as I sit here 2 weeks later (still with a sore tailbone), I'm ready to get out and push her again. My question to you is, what special tricks have you guys picked up to avoid killing yourselves when you capsize? For now, the best idea I've come up with is to turn and hold onto the wing for dear life, then climbing down once the boat comes to rest. Also, what advise do you have for someone hiked out on the trapeze with their feet on the wing?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Todd Benning
H21 SC #316

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HOLD ON REALLY TIGHT UNTIL THE BOAT STOPS MOVING AND LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

trbenning wrote:
My question to you is, what special tricks have you guys picked up to avoid killing yourselves when you capsize? For now, the best idea I've come up with is to turn and hold onto the wing for dear life, then climbing down once the boat comes to rest.

Not that I am not guilty of it, but it is proably best to not capsize to begin with :lol: :lol: :lol:

I usually uncleat the main and hold it once the windward hull starts to come up, you can almost always dump the sail to keep from capsizing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I keep the main uncleated too once the windward hull lifts and I moved those cleats attached to my jib sheet racketing block up to my wing and mounted them next to me.I hold on to the main and lay that jib sheet across my leg very accessible so I can release it in an instance. I actually mounted three cams per wing and use them to hold any sheets(jib,main or spinnaker) at my discretion.Before I moved those cams,I always found it too difficult to quickly release the jib from way out on the trapezes and still somewhat control it too.With my cam cleats basically right by my side(when sitting) or across my leg(when in the trapeze) it seemed very easy to control my 21SE.I like holding the main with one hand and keeping the tiller in the other hand with the jib sheet across my leg.
I have not capsized my 21SE in at least a decade.I have a wind vane mounted on top of my mast(kind of hard to see way up there) that breaks when the mast hits the water.And I hate replacing it.I do carry extra vanes.I have those shroud extenders with Johnson cams and a righting bucket that work well with two people.On windy days,I like a crew of at least three experienced sailor(me and my two kids)On real windy days I changed out my stock sized jib for a custom made storm jib.(less square footage)Probably half the time I sail,I sail alone...very peaceful :D
As I remember,the boat rolls over in almost slow motion sometime giving me time to plan a landing.Unless I pitch pole and than it is like swatting a fly....not a good thing :lol:

Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You can also go on YouTube and watch lots of interesting ways to "dismount" a flipping cat. I've actually learned a lot my watching. You'll notice that although the boat might be flipping rather slowly, when the mast hits the water, there is a bit of a "jerk" that tends to dislodge any sailors trying to cling to the wings... so hold on tightly.
-Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hold on for dear life and then try to only body slam on the sail if falling that direction. No feet first, no head first and no knee or arms first landings. My wife and I had significant bruising under our arms from holding on, but did not land on each other nor go thru the sail. We are ready to use the newly rigged righting pole.....I'll let everyone know how the next flip goes.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I dont have a mast bob (float), do these things SE always turtle?

The last boat was a 16 without a comp and it floated on the mast no problem, but this one has me worried.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I put on a Mama Bob for my comfort.....It took my wife and I 30 minutes to finally get the boat up without the righting pole and I am glad I had the bob. I think if it ever goes turtle the width of the boat and the volume of the hulls will be very difficult to ever get up again.

I am new to the boat and don't have experience with turtling or what would happen if it did.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have shroud extensions with quick release pins as seen in the hobie catalog