Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi there, ive just bought a hobie 14 turbo, my next plan is to learn to sail it! im looking for a lake where theres access to launch, sail, and learn the ropes as it were.......im in the fort stewart area, but i'd imagine closer to savannah there might be a lake used for just sailing. im thinking a lake would be better to learn on than off the beach.......any advice would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tony,

I am not nearly as familiar with Savannah area lakes as I am with Hilton Head. Buried somewhere in this forum I had posted a good deal of information about HHI about a year and a half ago. You might want to consider sailing in the intracoastal / sound areas of the low country (plenty of islands around Savannah) if you cannot find a nearby lake. You can find pretty wide areas, low boat traffic, and more friendly water (tides / currents) without venturing onto the Atlantic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try Edisto Beach just up the road
put in the St. Helena sound till you feel ok about ocean sailing
The state park is also really good :lol: Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tony,

I bough recently a 16 which lives on the beach on tybee island. There are 5 or 6 cats there mainly 16s but at least one 14. The old owner of the boat assured me it is free and unregulated and boats have just lived thee for years. I was amazed but will be putting mine back there as soon as it's sea worthy. It looks to be a great spot. The boats launch onto the back river which is sheltered but easily big enough or you can sail 500yds to the ocean or go the other way and have miles of wide rivers/intracoastal to play on. I can't wait untill I've done my boat and can play.

Ben

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ben,

It just occurred to me that with the Tybee 500 obviously concluding on Tybee Island that there may actually be some active beachcat sailing going on. Do you know if those 5-6 Hobie's get sailed regularly or are they oxidation stations like the few old catamarans that don HHI beaches? Are they in the same area of the beach?

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Reference my asking for places to sail in and or around the savannah area, i wanted to aknowledge and say thanks for the responses and just comment that next month is planned to be the start of my learning curve which i hope will coincide with somewhat warmer weather. I will use the information given to help me plan my sailing.....thanks again, and look forward to further conversations on this and other sailing topics.......tony

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Its a little drive, but Jekyll Island is a great place to sail. Jekyll Island has a great boat ramp with fresh water for rinsing off after sailing. St Andrews Sound is a real exciting place to sail. Dolphins are everywhere. It can get pretty choppy with an offshore wind and the tide going out and there are several shoals that make it shallow in spots at low tide. Sailing to Cumberland Island is a great way to spend a few hours and you can come ashore on a totally secluded beach. We live north of Atlanta and drive down there several times per month in the summer since that seems to be the only place in GA that has any wind.

Keep the pointy side up!