Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Wave owner in Kansas
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought that 2001 Wave and trailer for $3200 today. He took me to the lake to rig it and sail, but no wind. I'm a little intimidated by raising the mast myself!!

Question; When you tie up to a dock what do you use to attach to a dock cleat? The righting line at the front of the tramp (untying one end)?
Where do you attach the line to the boat?

Question; I noticed when I got it home that the rollers on the inside front riding on the amas (?) are tight against the sides, leaving a small depression. The rear rollers are inboard of the amas about 3 inches and don't do anything.
Should I move the front rollers inboard a little so they don't both wedge against the amas?
Shouldn't the rear rollers be closer to keep the boat from moving off the side of the trailer in back while allowing ample room for getting the boat on the trailer.

Thanks

Secular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, move the rollers causing the depression away from the hull. The rear rollers may be ok. You need to watch the clearance as you pull the boat onto or off of the trailer. Adjust as needed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh ya, forgot about the dock line. I tie off the righting line to the beam around the mast base and stuff the end in the tramp pocket. If I am at a dock I just use the line as is.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I avoid tying up to a dock. I have read in other posts that the rigging takes a beating. I always attempt to put it on the beach. First time we raised the mast I was also impressed at its height having sailed Sunfishes before.

MP

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I’m VERY GLAD “lucky” to hear about your Wave, I have been looking around the Conroe/Houston/Galveston area with NO luck! The closest so far have been states away and not much of a deal (or not a Hobie), but will have one even if it is off the rack "sweet". Which leads to my question? Is there a better season to buy from dealers, when would we see the 2011 models or older models at a better price, and used from individuals.
Right now have an invoice from, KO Sailing for a Club model, trailer, freight, jib/hardware, mainsail traveler for 7,000 and as they told me tax and registration would come later when I get plates. I guess I would take my receipt to DMV for that transaction.