Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway and Pitch Pole
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Today my wife and I had a bad spill on our new Getaway. We were close hauled and suddenly were thrown from a violent pitchpole. I was ok but my wife suffered severe bruising on her leg. This is our second Getaway (the first was totalled by a freak wind storm) and have not experienced pitchpoling of this magnitude before. My mast seems "raked" back quite a bit. Do I need to rake it more? We were both as far back on the boat as possible. It seems that as soon as the hull wants to fly, the boat wants to take a dive. This was not much of a problem on my 2003 Getaway. Now we have a 2004. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:25 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Interesting post. I experienced the same thing recently. On my second sail on a new 2004 model, we had about 14mph winds, mast raked slightly aft. When we got speed, with all our weight on the very back of the upwind wing, the bow of the leeward hull was really diving down. In fact, the front support post for the leeward wing was dragging so much water, it was acting as a brake! Not sure why it was handling like this, also hoping for some suggestions.
Thanks.

PS. - My Getaway has other pecular handling characteristics I will be posting on soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting. I almost pitchpoled close-hauled on my H16 a few weeks ago, but I think that's because there were strong winds and I suspect we got a lift. Are you sure there wasn't a quick wind shift?

Anyway, my first pitchpole with my wife resulted in a huge bruise on both of her thighs; she said they didn't hurt at all but they were sure purple!!

Jim

Post subject: Going upwind?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Going upwind?

Odd, but in demanding conditions you should use the traveler. Travel out to release loads on the bow. On the boomless main, as you crack the sheets the sail gets full up high and could cause additional drive forward resulting on forward pitch momentum.

It you are in puffy conditions and having to sheet out to hold the boat down, traveling will help keep it flatter.

Also, these are plastic hulls and can be shaped differently. If the bows are sunk-in (think hollow cheeks) there would be less bouyancy up front.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Mast rake and pitchpole
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've noticed the same problem -- as soon as I get enough speed and feel like I'm going to fly a hull, the leeward hull dives (with us in the back of the boat on the wing).

I haven't tried raking yet but I will. I'm not clear though -- rake until the blocks touch? The Getaway has no sail block but the thing is: they always touch when I sheet in. I'm not sure what I'm missing but it appears that will always be the case. On the forestay adjuster that clips to the furler, I clip the thrid hole from the bottom into the top hole of the furler. Seems like that's quite a bit vertical for the mast -- yet I can sheet in til there is no more rope to sheet (and the S hook is all but hitting the block).

Any advice on raking this boat would be appreciated.

I also would like to second the question someone else posted: Is there a quick release pin that you trust for the forestay (jib) on this boat? The ringy dingy is a waste of time... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As far as ball lock pins go, look on McMAster-Carr's website. They have a variety of styles and materials. They also include the shear strength ratings. I have found some ball locks that have a higher rating than regular pins.

http://www.mcmaster.com

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Scott wrote:
"Today my wife and I had a bad spill on our new Getaway. We were close hauled"

To make an edit to my original post, I don't know why I said close hauled, I ment to say I was on a beam reach (90 d. to the wind) when we pitchpoled. I should proofread my work... :oops:

Since that incident, I have learned that very seldom do I pitchpole when I am by myself. Also in heavy winds, I do travel out a bit and that seems to help tremendously. Thanks mmiller for the advice.

JaimeZX wrote:
Are you sure there wasn't a quick wind shift?

I sail mostly in a bay area with large islands that are usually upwind from the boat, so yes, I get wind shifts all the time. As for my wife's recovery, she now has a band of scar tissue under the skin that makes her leg look funny. She still loves to go out on the Getaway but not on certain days. Oh well... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have some serious problems with pitchpoling on my 2001. I have tried rake aft and forward. I seems when I rake forward it is better, huh. Having the traveler out does help a little. It usually happens when I am close hauled and then fall off to shoot into a beam reach. It probably happened 6 times this weekend and I was sailing in 25-30 knot winds. Fun! The only thing I found that helps me is to head up a little when I get about an inch from the top. I would like so feed back. I am black and blue from head to toe but it won't stop me. Please help.

Post subject: Tramp?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:08 am 
Site Admin

High wind is a problem for all cats. Conditions like that are demanding.

Are you stuffing the tramp? Once the tramp gets under, the boat could pitch. Odd the raking forward would be better. More downhaul to depower the top of the sail. Keep the battens somewhat loose. Especially the top battens. You need to reduce to power in high winds. you should turn off the wind SLOWLY. The sudden shift of power bearing down on the bows is what is driving them down.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Matt
I will try everything. Great Help. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After experiencing a few wild pitchpoles, I made these foils (click link below). I can still pitchpole if I drive it hard enough, but they definitely help.

Phil

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/philgrimm ... pg&.src=ph