Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:55 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

After a 3 generation evolution over 10 years, say goodbye to the old Oasis. It closed its remarkable run in 2010 as the oldest existing Mirage Drive kayak. Say hello to a completely new tandem, coincidentally also called the Oasis. The only thing these two boats share is a common length and width.

So what's new about the new Oasis? A completely new hull, larger cockpits, bow hatch, cargo hatch, larger cargo well, rod holders, dual rudder controls, built in flotation, dual grips, front and rear. Then there are the little things like dual drink holders (F & R), dual mesh pockets (F & R), flat cockpit deck, wider cockpit rails for additional rod holders, new rudder mounting system, improved rudder up/down controls, dual scupper cart positions. So many of the new systems come from three years of research and development on Hobie's Tandem Island, it almost seems like you're stepping into a mini TI (without the amas)! Lets take a closer look....

Hull: Much of the rocker has been removed and volume has increased (again) although capacity is still listed at 550 lb. At the forward end of the front cockpit the new Oasis is 2" deeper and 4" narrower. It retains good buoyancy and runs quieter in the water. As you can see below, it takes on a whole new look (shown here is Hobie's new color "Olive", replacing last year's "Moss"):

The hull profile has been redrawn for even more stability. Capacity has been added in the stern to support a slight cockpit shift aft and heavier cargo loads (like the Hobie bait tank, which can now fit in the cargo well).

The new foredeck sports its own bow hatch. The opening measures 11" diagonally by 14" deep, with lots of room inside. The 6" front bulkhead hatch has disappeared. Also notice in this next picture the end of one of the new flotation pieces. For 2011, all Hobie kayaks meet the NMMA certification requirement for flotation (at least 10% of rated capacity)

Many don't realize that most if not all Hobie foredeck hatches have mounting holes for lines to secure your gear. Nice touch! This is the Oasis version:

The cargo well is slightly shorter and wider and much more usable. It now has its own 8" hatch and a pair of rear cart/drainage scuppers. Notice the added rod holders.

Here are some other pics of the hull you can click on to get an idea of the overall lines:

Image Image Image Image Image

Cockpits: Both front and rear cockpits have gained length and are about as long as the Adventure cockpit. Seat width has increased about 2". Seating position drops slightly and the forward cockpit rails are held higher. Combined with the finer bow entry and greater depth, this gives a drier ride in the front seat in choppy conditions. Note in these views the dual cup bottle holders, dual mesh pockets, dual rudder controls and flat decks (for standing?). Grips are well placed for both passengers to use as desired. The soft grip material is pleasant to grasp. Grips are also used as paddle rests and can be a little awkward to grab with a paddle sitting on them -- still manageable though.

The smaller sail mount is now out of the way of the rear Drive in the full forward position. The grip between the cockpits is an optional accessory for easier solo handling.

The rear cockpit deck was raised as part of the capacity upgrade. Drive position feels quite comfortable unless you use the #7 pedal position -- your large feet may drag on the deck.

Rudder system: The rudder system sports several improvements. Dual controls allow total versatility in seating arrangements, whether solo or tandem. Both steering handles and up/down lines are replicated in both cockpits. Handles (and steering cranks) have been redesigned for all the 2011 kayaks. In addition to a new attachment system, the lighter colored handle material is very grippy. There is a threaded insert to which an optional steering knob (shown here) can be attached.

Image Image

Rudder up/down pulls only require half as much effort to raise or lower the rudder as the previous version. When locking the rudder down with this increased leverage, be sure not to over-tension the line, as this can make the rudder difficult to move. Note the red and green labels on these handles tend to fall off eventually.

The rudder gudgeon is now part of the rudder assembly rather than molded into the boat. This solves some potential rotomolding problems and saves space as well. Here is a before and after comparison (click on image to enlarge):

Image Image

Handling: The boat's 86 lb. weight is unchanged from the previous version. Carting with the front scupper holes balances the boat nicely for easy rolling. The new rear scupper holes not only drain the cargo well and provide circulation access for Hobie's optional bait tank, but serve as a secondary location to facilitate loading the boat in some circumstances.

As you can see, the new Oasis is a handsome boat, packed with Hobie's newest features and innovations. Next, we'll take a look at the boat's performance on the water. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30997 8)

Last edited by Roadrunner on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Count me among those not knowing about the places to tie your gear under the front hatch, or knowing about the availability of a steering knob. Thanks for the interesting post!

We have a 2011 Oasis in the garage so new that it hasn't gotten wet yet!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool. Looks nice. Sort of reminds me of a tandem Revolution. Any word on if we can upgrade our older steering handles to the new style? I like the knob, it would help me steer with my toes when I'm out on the trampolines of my AI. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:10 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

You can upgrade the old steering handles but you must get the new steering crank as well. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Suicide knob on the steering. Got to have one, any idea of a part number. Great review of the new Oasis. Glad to see the positive flotation. Looks like closed cell foam glued in place. Is the front hatch a closed compartment?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:58 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Ranger, thanks. The knob works great! I don't know the part # though (not yet in my parts catalog).

The hull is not compartmentalized, so you can bend long flexible items in. I like to stow my "boombat" (for instance) for the small sail inside the hull since it won't furl with the sail -- just have to keep it on a leash so it doesn't wander around. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner, that was quick! You already had the boat when I posted my find, or not? Anyway, thanks for this great review, and I look forward to the rest.

I love my "old" 2008 oasis, but everything little thing of which I thought that it could be a little nicer seems to be fixed in this boat, in a good looking fashion. More room in especially the front cockpit is a big enhancement, I think. The boat looks like it would be better for soloing too, not needing the ballast as much and easier to place it. But you can tell us soon if these speculations are sound.

Btw, some detail in your post made me wonder if I it is time congratulate you with a new boat. Is it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

skua wrote:
Roadrunner, that was quick! You already had the boat when I posted my find, or not?
Skua, yours was the first announcement I saw on the boat. In fact I had picked up a demo boat prior to your announcement, but hadn't got a good enough chance to look it over to make any comments yet. Amazing that the new product announcement come from the Netherlands!

Quote:
I love my "old" 2008 oasis, but everything little thing of which I thought that it could be a little nicer seems to be fixed in this boat, in a good looking fashion. More room in especially the front cockpit is a big enhancement, I think. The boat looks like it would be better for soloing too, not needing the ballast as much and easier to place it. But you can tell us soon if these speculations are sound.
Excellent observations! Are you sure you don't have one of these boats there? I agree with everything you say and will try to get more detail out by the end of the weekend.

Quote:
Btw, some detail in your post made me wonder if I it is time congratulate you with a new boat. Is it?
My '08 Oasis is already posted for sale locally and I'm definitely planning on replacing it with an '11 model! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good stuff.
Will the steering knob work on a TI?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:17 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

TxYackMan wrote:
Yes. In fact, the knob was developed originally for the TI. IMO, it works best with any of the sailing activities since you're always moving the rudder in response to wind shifts, heading corrections and tacking points. The knob gives you more leverage and less fatigue. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner,
Great review as usual. 8)
Kind of fitting that, as Hobie ends the old Oasis, we finally decide that (reluctantly) our 06 Tandem is to go. :(
It was our first Hobie and gave us many great adventures. The TI is a more versatile replacement but the Tandem still held its own as a kayak. :)
Looking forward to the performance report. Could this new Oasis be the fastest kayak yet?

Skua,
First the new daggerboard, then the new Oasis. We'll have to start calling you Skoop! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner wrote:
Amazing that the new product announcement come from the Netherlands!
Hehe, well I wouldn't mind doing the announcements if that means I get all the news first! :D

Roadrunner wrote:
My '08 Oasis is already posted for sale locally and I'm definitely planning on replacing it with an '11 model! 8)
Congratulations on your new boat (coming)!

Stringy, I can imagine that since you have the TI, you can do without the Oasis. Luckily, thanks to these forums, your special (twin sail, 8 hatch) Oasis lives forever! Anyway, I think that for those, for who the TI is a little too much (f.i. to store or to pay, or to handle on land), the oasis still is a great way to go, and, as underscored by Roadrunners decision, only more so!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skua wrote:
Anyway, I think that for those, for who the TI is a little too much (f.i. to store or to pay, or to handle on land), the oasis still is a great way to go, and, as underscored by Roadrunners decision, only more so!

I totally agree Skua! :)
I'll be very interested to see how fast the new Oasis cruises. We have found the TI when in Kayak mode has a similar cruising speed as the old Oasis. As you know, the old hull design on the Oasis limited its top speed as the faster you could pedal the more water was being displaced. Despite virtually no wake from the TI we haven't been able to push it that much faster. I guess the greater weight and abundance of holes (especially the built in daggerboard) all contribute. I haven't bothered to tape up the openings yet.
I'm guessing the newer Oasis hull will cruise faster. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
TxYackMan wrote:
Yes. In fact, the knob was developed originally for the TI. IMO, it works best with any of the sailing activities since you're always moving the rudder in response to wind shifts, heading corrections and tacking points. The knob gives you more leverage and less fatigue. 8)

Cool, I need to order a couple of those knobs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great review. Do you have any idea how high the new Oasis is. I mean how much height i adds to the vehicle laying upside down on the roofrails ?

Do the flotation pieces look easily removable?