Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help with steering
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a 2010 demo pro angler, and it's really nice. I do need help with the steering though. In my excitement I didn't pay attention when the sales clerk took the seat out for transportation. I appears the seat sits directly on the steering cable, is that correct and does that cause any problems? The other issue I have is that when the control mechanism is firmly set in place that the amount of rudder movement (right/left) is greater for one direction, ie moving the control towards the bow there is more rudder movement than when moving it towards the stern, the seat limits movement. What needs to be done to adjust this to make the turning radius the same for both sides? thanks.

Post subject: Re: help with steering
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like you need to adjust the steering lines. Also the steering cables should not be in a bind underthe seat... There should be amble room for the cable to fit under the seat area without binding... Good Luck

Hobie will provide an upgrade to the steering cam. A larger cam to reduce the quick adjustment to the rudder..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

coyote5 wrote:
I just purchased a 2010 demo pro angler, and it's really nice. I do need help with the steering though. In my excitement I didn't pay attention when the sales clerk took the seat out for transportation. I appears the seat sits directly on the steering cable, is that correct and does that cause any problems? The other issue I have is that when the control mechanism is firmly set in place that the amount of rudder movement (right/left) is greater for one direction, ie moving the control towards the bow there is more rudder movement than when moving it towards the stern, the seat limits movement. What needs to be done to adjust this to make the turning radius the same for both sides? thanks.

Coyote5 The steering cover runs along the outside of the seat, between the deck.

Pull the back cover off over the rudder. The steering cables are attached to the hub. Make sure the rudder is straight and adjust the cable sides. There is a small knob on the bottom of the steering contol. This adjusts the amount of tension in the steering lines. You may need to play with this as well to get the tension correct. Do not tighten the lines with the tension control knob loosened up all the way. The steering line will tighten up as they get wet. You want to adjust the tension of the lines on the water. If you have it setup to tight the steering will get tighter and harder to control.

Have fun with your PA!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow you guys are great, thanks so much for the quick responses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The cable can also run right directly down the center under the seat just fine too and makes for a smoother transition to the control. If you look at that photo, there's a little groove dead center. Try that and then position your turning gear to obtain the smoothest turning moment. You don't need that "S" when the cable is down the center.