Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My pro Angler rigged
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In above pic, hole is marked with an automatic center punch to avoid mistakes.
Then is clamped down in the drill-press to avoid an errors.

Finished product, crisp and clean. Used the OEM board as well; can be replaced after heavy usage. Using the thicker board alone is fine, but wanted to stretch out the thickness if I could.
Knife now lays flush with the board, making cutting bait a breeze.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks alot Sifisto!!! And those rod well stoppers,,,,ingenious.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Outstanding!!! now you have my gears turning.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sifisto,

I like the 'yak, and your modifications!!

I was thinking about getting a Pro Angler or another Outback for the Texas coast, the Gulf of Mexico, and trips from a few hundred yards to 4 or 5 miles to the nearer oil rigs, but with the size and weight, I was wondering about the difficulty in moving it around when not in the water, trucking, lifting, moving to water, etc. I am 5'6", around 165, 68 years-old, and in pretty good shape for the age. I don't lift heavy weights, but I do 15 to 20 fifty to seventy-five pound repetitions, 2 or 3 times in a row, plus all of the other cardiac leg and arm work. I can move my Outback pretty much with ease and use one of the dollys that fit in the scuppers when moving on land, and the same with my Ocean Kayak 15.5 footers. It takes a little work, but pretty quickly I get them where I want them.

What size are you and how much difficulty do you have in handling a Pro? Have you weighed it? I would truly hate to buy one of these and fix it up and then not be able to use it because of its size, but I would really like to haveone for the Gulf if it handles and maneuvers in the water as easily as you say. It would give me the stability I want (I think) offshore.

I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Harold, I'm 5'7" 185# in good shape. Since I'm doing EMS and lifting the morbidly obese all the time this PA is chump change to me concerning weight. I think the weight issue thing is hurdle easliy overcome after you handle it. You'll never be lifting this kayak 100% off the ground, that's where the misconception comes into play. The weight of this was a major deciding factor for me, but once I realized your picking up one end and placing it on the bed of a truck, then picking up the back and sliding it into the bed; it was a piece of cake...even on an incline!!!!! I fish with other Hobie owners all the time, and let them test ride my PA as well; they are all sold on the PA now handsdown.
One thing which may sound surprising, is the less energy exerted doing the peddling. I can do miles without fatigue in this kayak. It seems your peddling down, not up like the other Hobies. It's truely a work of art. Wish I was a Hobie salesman.LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, Sifisto. I could tell you were in good shape and wondered if you were about my size, but younger. You've also got an e-mail about the pictures and a couple of other questions!!

Thanks again. You have really helped me on this, and I really appreciate it!!

Ray

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Got the New Pro Angler fixed up ready for fall stripers that live in a little river near me where the bigger boats can't go...(I also have a little 17ft Sea-Pro Bay Boat and its 23ft Big Sister CC for offshore fishing but love kayak fishing!).

Garmin 440s for GPS and Fishfinding (just waiting for the West Marine Cable Plugs to arrive!) and the livewell for Menhaden Duties!

Bit of a beast for getting on the roof but worth it - steering does need adjustment but much better overall boat that my outback...

KJ

http://gallery.me.com/lmpawsey#100437/D ... olor=black

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I enjoyed all of the pictures. Your PA looks great. That's the livewell, isn't it. How difficult is it to install, and do the rod holders come mounted to its rear, or did you do that. if so, how?

Ray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Livewell is a breeze. Just connect the rechargable battery under the black cover, push out the drain pipes to fit into one scupper, connect the inlet tube to the other scupper, attach both the straps to secure to the Pro Angler and pull out the switch! Must admit on of the best accessories I have ever bought! 3 Rod tubes come prebolted and make for much better storage than the horizontal tubes in my opinion once on the water (and they don't get in the way for trolling)..

Always feel nervous drilling 1" holes for the Chartplotter/GPS but easy to do with the new mounting boards and once sealed is watertight.

I do go a fair way off shore so now have a radio attached to the side of the chair as well as the life jacked (both floating and waterproof devices) - was thinking about a full radio with large antenna just to see what other boaters think ;-)

Kev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very nice job!
How did you fasten the Flag to the Pro Angler?
BEK7200 :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice installations/rigging.
One thing I noticed is the Hobie Trax cart appears to be the earlier/lower capacity model.....the tires look to be almost "flat" under the full load.
Suggest trading up to the Trax "2" cart or the new Heavy Duty cart.
This will avoid potential busted/damaged tires and getting stuck just when you don't need that grief!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
One thing I noticed is the Hobie Trax cart appears to be the earlier/lower capacity model.....the tires look to be almost "flat" under the full load.
Suggest trading up to the Trax "2" cart or the new Heavy Duty cart.
This will avoid potential busted/damaged tires and getting stuck just when you don't need that grief!

I noticed that, too. The Pro Angler is a heavier boat, about twice the weight of a normal kayak, so its going to take more to support that rascal!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

These are some really great modifications to a great fishing platform. I will most likely use some myself... Where do I send the money for these ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Glad I'm not the only one who is in awe of Sifisto's PA rigging ideas. I'm copied him so much almost embarrased to show my PA here. Thanks for sharing, Sifisto! You do deserve a commission!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice job.
Where can I order the cutting board from? :wink: