Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fingal and Beyond
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like to get together for a weekend with the family, and do a nice trip out from Fingal to the islands and back. Anyone interested?

Post subject: Re: Fingal and Beyond
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You know I'm up for it. Racing out to Cabbage Tree Island with Eddie VH blear'n in the background. :lol: I'm the same, would much rather do it in company. Are weekend or weekdays best for you. If it's a weekday, Friday or Monday are best for me as I can make a long weekend of it. I also need to give 1 weeks notice. Weekend are probably better for me, but either or.

I started this thread ages ago. But the cold weather snapped in before we hit the water and we all went into hibernation. (well I did anyway)

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=25096

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd be interested too! 8)
What were your thoughts re accomodation? If I'm travelling that far I'd want to make it more than a day trip.
I'm still keen to stay longer on Broughton Island as well!
PS -No hibernation here. Managed to commute right through Winter.
Slaughter I can understand why, with that scar of yours, you were hibernating! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What's the proposed trip entail ? Distances, conditions, duration etc ?

I appreciate that no firm commitments have been made but are there any opinions/preferences ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm the same ie: would want to stay over somewhere. Is Broughton revisited for 2 nights an option ? If you blokes coming down from the north want a shorter drive, you could launch at Seal Rocks and us southerners launch from the bay, we could all meet 1/2 way at Broughton. Although a big amarda out from Fingal would be cool.

Just thoughts at this stage OasisGuy. It would be good to have you aboard.

Last edited by Slaughter on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Max

I would love to join you when you do this now or in future.

My Red Boat is not due yet and I hope the rudder issue does not stop them from delivering (note to Sunstate... Please do not delay the delivery, I am happy to have it and wait for the fix later like everyone else)

When are you looking at such a trip?

Regards

Brian

PS -At least my trailer has arrived, assembled and now have to do the mods to take the TI!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A weekend works for me too. Does anyone know what the Fingal Bay Holiday Park is like?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's a nice park and right next to the launch site. Don't know about camp sites or cabin hire though. It would just take a phone call. May be a good option to save an early morning or afternoon drive. Leave it with me, I'll ring them tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

K, thanks Slaughter. Also, what do you reckon - boys only - or families? I (and my wife Sandy) are open to either.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Three or four of us are planning on heading out to Broughton over the October long weekend for a couple of nights. Our main focus will be on the fishing but we will be sailing out from Fingal or Shoal bay. Haven't sailed out there before but been out for a few overnighters on the kayak. It would be good to see a few more out on the water.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This could be BIG. The most AI's I have ever seen in a photo is 5. I'm sure there have been bigger amadas but as a famous AI philosopher once said 'It didn't happen without a photo'. ( thanks CGM )
Anyone is welcome but it is worth noting that if it's a trip to Broughton, it shouldn't be taken lightly. On our last trip, Chris got put onto the rocks and he was the most experienced sailer out of the lot of us. Also leave some spare days up your sleeve because the weather there is very unpredictable and if turns bad, we may have to stay longer than expected. A mate of mine had to be helicopered off once with his family when the weather turned sour. The weather for our trip was perfect however the day before we got into Esmerelda Cove, a cruiser got wrecked at the entrance. After only 2 1/2 hours of our trip I was over it, and must admit that if it went on much longer the musli bars and vegimite sangas would have become fish food.
Enough of the dramatisation, it was still a great trip and highly recommended. Perhaps we all just meet at Fingal on a specified date and time, and make it an excuse for a AI pre Chrismas get together. Those who want to treat it as a couple of day trips out around the islands and in Nelsons and Shoal Bays, so be it. Those who want to treat it as a fishing adventure, go for it, and others like myself, will most probably just want to sail, bushwalk and camp.

Thoughts ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm interested in a long weekend trip, I'll keep an eye on this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the wrap-up Slaughter, but Stringy is by far the most experienced sailor among us and I ended up on the rocks because I'm a dill who programmed his GPS wrong, then blindly trusted it.
That said, I agree the trip to Broughton is not to be taken lightly, plus there are likely to be heaps of stink boats there on the long weekend (or any weekend once it gets warm).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Never even thought about the stink boats but you're dead right. I didn't really know who was the most experienced, I just knew that I was the least. If I'd have been following you I would have been a lemming.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys, if we are decided on staying at Fingal Bay (as opposed to staying overnight at Broughton Isl) we have some alternate routes as I finally managed to map out here: Fingal Routes.

So, dependent on weather, we could do the trip to Broughton and back, OR around the 3 Islands (Cabbage Tree et al), OR thru the heads to Shoal Bay. If the weather is really wild, we could launch at Shoal Bay and stay inside.

Also, I can bring family (wife Sandy and 2 kids, 12yo and 14yo) OR do a 'blokes only' trip. I'm flexible.

Any thoughts? (I'm keen as!)