Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello every one please help before I part with my hard earned cash.
Thinking of buying an adventurer, looks like a good boat but from what I can gather all these kayaks have been designed with fishing in mind.
I was wondering if these kayaks would also be good as liesure boats as I dont fish. I would like to know how comfertable the adventurer is to paddle and peddal for long periods, and what the storage is like ie. could I fit a tent in, or on the kayak with ease? And how is the kayak to car top?.
Ive also been reading alot about cracks in the hull, has the big A got this problem?
Im hoping to go to the out door show in Birmingham soon to purchase, but would like to go with knowledge of advantages and disadvantages.
Thanks for taking the time to read, looking forward to seeing your replies.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

To me, the Adventure looks more like a classic touring kayak rather than a fishing yak. Faster, sleeker, better tracking, bigger hatches etc. Some of the fishing features of the Outback have been left off...fore rod holders, accessory trays, etc. I'd go for it, I think the Adventure would be a great match to your needs.

All of the Mirage drive kayaks are terrific leisure boats, when not fishing my Outback is a real joy just to pedal around. Fast, maneuverable, and flat out fun. I could literally maintain 3MPH all day long, as once you're moving the pedaling is quite effortless. Sustained bursts over 5MPH (according to my GPS) are easy as well, although it would be hard to keep it up for long. Sailing is a blast too, although it's kinda spooky in gusty wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve0115-If you go to the Hobie site and look at the Adventure there, it states that the Adventure was designed mainly for touring. We have found it a great fishing kayak in addition. I use mine for photography, fishing, and exploring right now and plan on taking extended (overnight) trips in the future. It has a lot of storage, is very stable and is quite fast. I have had mine up to about 5.8 mphs under paddle power alone and up to 6.8 mphs under pedal power. I can cruise at 4.5 mphs for an extended time. These numbers are GPS numbers and are nothing unusual for the Adventure. Many persons have reported similiar speeds. On top of all this, you can sail it if you get the notion! Kyt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Adventure can do it all (pedal, paddle, & sail). It can be car topped and should work out well for you camping. I recommend that you do a demo on it before you decide, but its speed and versatility make it hard to beat for a liesure water craft. Your sustained speed will depend on your conditioning, but most people can do 3-3.5 mph easily all day and others can do 4 mph all day. If you get tired paddling, pedal for a while and vice versa. I think it is a great kayak and Hobie will stand behind their products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve,

While you may have noticed that I have had a few problems with my Adventure I am still a huge fan. Like you I am mainly into touring as opposed to fishing. I have had an Outback for about 3 years and done many over night trips in it loaded up...it was great for that. While I havent had the Adeventure on an overnight trip yet I have toaded it with my camoing gear in the garage and it is gonna be brilliant. All of the carry capacity of the Outback but with about 25% improvement in effort for distance. Buy it...you wont be dissapointed!!

The other thing I love about it is that the Adventure really does look like one serious kayak...long and sleek :D

Cheers
mark