Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull composition
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys,

I've got a 14 Turbo that is in bad shape but I am determined to restore it. It's sat half in the water for the past, oh 15 years and is having a floating problem now. This is my question - are the 14 hulls completely filled with foam? Just foam blocks? No matter what I can't get this thing to float, even after airing it out. So if it had blocks, I was going to cut some inspection ports and just pull them out. Later I'd probably fill it with new foam. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Laura

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:01 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

There are foam blocks between the pylons inside the hulls. The hulls are not filled solid.

Cutting ports in is probably a good idea, but you won't be able to get the foam out in one piece - the blocks are way to big.

Sounds like the whole interior, and maybe even the hull laminate is waterlogged.

This is what the inside of your boat looks like:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you so much, that picture is just what I needed (though a little curious why anyone would need to cut the hulls up like that). I'm glad to hear they are chunks and not solid. I had a good idea it would be hard to tear the things out, but I'm determined - free is free. Any ideas what to do if the laminate is saturated too? Any advice at all about this before I start cutting and ripping is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone,
Laura

Post subject: Not a good sign
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would say the boat is Toast. :shock: May want to look at anothe one, :roll: unless you can get some used hulls cheap. I got a used one for my 17 for $550. All in how much you want to put into boat. :?

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tend to agree with Doug on this one. One thing you could try is to store the hulls in a dry environment (a room with a dehumidifier and fans to circulate the air) with lots of dessicant place inside them. Definilty cut at least one access port in each hull (two is probably better). I would guess it would take a couple of months of this to have the desired effect.

I would only try this is you are hell bent on restoring this boat and have lots of time. Remember, it took 15 years for all that water to be absorbed by the boat.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sheesh guys - you're breaking my heart! :( I've been airing it out for the past month, I'm going to float it today and see what happens. Thanks again for the advice, I'll keep you posted.

Laura

Post subject: Check Ebay
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think it is a lost project. I don't know where you live, but there have been a few boats on Ebay and thebeachcats site.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For reference, about how much freeboard should it have sans person? How about with a 140 pound person on the tramp?

Laura

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Just weigh the boat. A boat of that vintage should weigh in at 250 - 280 lbs fully rigged.

Each hull should weigh about 55-60 lbs. If they're significantly over that, they're waterlogged.

Here's why that other boat was cut apart:

Seriously bad delamination. This is probably what's going on in your boat. You need to check for soft spots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hmmm, no way to weigh this thing - especially since I don't have a trailer (problem number 2). Got a rough estimate of freeboard? Also - are the hulls solid or cored fiberglass? I did a very thorough check yesterday and found no soft spots anywhere which is one less problem I suppose. :wink:

Laura

Post subject: 14 on Ebay
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Laura:

Here is a 14 on EBay. Bid still at $255. If is rigging is bad you still get hulls.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hobie-Ca ... enameZWDVW

Maybe this will help. Just don't think you will ever get all the water out of the old one. Also Bob Curry [email protected] , he might know one one.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Laura,

Recruit a friend and take the tramp frame off (one bolt at each pylon) and weigh each hull individually on a bathroom scale. The major fluctuation (or "potential" variation) of weight will be only in the hulls themselves.

Also, if it actually sat in the water fifteen years you probably have major blistering of the gelcoat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
Here's why that other boat was cut apart:

Seriously bad delamination. This is probably what's going on in your boat. You need to check for soft spots.

With all the talk of fixing "BIG" soft spots, you could not have fixed that one?

Maybe I am in for a bad suprise when it warms up enough to try and fix mine.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Laura, here's a picture of "my wife's" (hehehe) H14 after I dismasted the first time on the lake. It should give you an idea of unloaded freeboard.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Jim, that picture is just what I needed! Mine isn't too much different from that (keeping in mind the weight of the mast). Today I pitched it on its aft and got more of the water out. It's floating somewhat normally now, I still want to get in there and replace the foam. This thing continues to surprise me, it appears the starboard hull is the worst since it was the one mainly in the water. The port hull is dry and seems to be fine.

I really appreciate all the advice everyone has given - I'm not being entirely stubborn here. Being a very poor college student and then given a boat - well I've got some determination to make this work on the cheap.

Laura