Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I haven't post here for about a month while I have been awaiting Hobie to replace my Pro Angler. I would like to share my story and complete satisfaction with Hobie as a company:

In March of this year, I purchased a used 2009 Pro Angler, that still was covered by warranty. I contacted Hobie, after my purchase and ask if the warranty applied to me, too...........they replied yes.

The first week in August, I discovered a problem with one of the handles on my Pro Angler and I immediately contacted Hobie. I was told that the problem need to be fix ASAP but as I tried to fix the handle, I found I wasn't capable and I took the kayak to my dealer. The dealer found that repair was not an option as there were unrepairable compromises to the plastic. They contacted Hobie and the Hobie engineers agreed............Hobie promised me a new hull.

Due to it being model change time and the fact that my dealer has multiple stores with a central warehouse, it took a while for my new kayak to get here. When it did, I found I receive a 2011 model with all the up grades. My dealer got my new kayak seaworthy in couple of hours and the next day I was on the water fishing!

My first two trips, I caught a boat load of fish, but more important, I found the 2011 upgrades were outstanding (reviews to be posted later).

I want to thank Hobie for their customer service and the commendable way they stepped up to the plate to honor their warranty.

I will be a Hobie customer for life!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

They replaced your Pro Angler due to the handle/compromised plastic? Was it the front? I have not had the same response and am stuck with a bad situation where I am going to have to "rig" me a handle unless Hobie honors the warranty. I have been told a rope handle or epoxy is my only option as the plastic is compromised and not repairable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice photo. I am also a large person @ 6'3 275 and wondering how the boat handles?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mythman, glad Hobie took good care of you. I am curious, do you have to have hull numbers for kayaks in Texas?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:44 am 
Site Admin

w3atlsu wrote:
I have been told a rope handle or epoxy is my only option as the plastic is compromised and not repairable.

Told by the dealer? Depends on the reason for the damage or failure I suppose, but doesn't sound like something we would say.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

atavuss wrote:
mythman, glad Hobie took good care of you. I am curious, do you have to have hull numbers for kayaks in Texas?

Has to be registered if you have a motor on the yak. In Texas you you would have to register a bathtub if you put it on public water and a motor on it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:10 am 
Hobie Team Member

Thinwater, not to hijack a thread but curious. What about a sail? Here in New Hampshire, anything over 12 feet and "other than human powered" requires registration.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

atavuss wrote:

I have the kayak registered because in Texas any motorized kayak, canoe or boat must be registered. I use the Hobie eVolve electric motor system on my PA.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

w3atlsu wrote:
They replaced your Pro Angler due to the handle/compromised plastic? Was it the front? I have not had the same response and am stuck with a bad situation where I am going to have to "rig" me a handle unless Hobie honors the warranty. I have been told a rope handle or epoxy is my only option as the plastic is compromised and not repairable.

I was reluctant to post my experience because everyone wants to know what the problem was and are looking at their yak, to see if they have the same. I contacted Hobie and ask if I should even make this post and they said, "Yes, if someone else finds a problem of your nature, we want to know about it".

However, not all problems are the same...........maybe similar but maybe not exactly the same.

All I can say is Hobie makes a quality product and if problems arise, by my experience they stand behind their warranties. I didn't have to threaten to go public or post all over the internet, they just very honorably stood behind their product and warranty.

I am and will remain, a very loyal Hobie customer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just want to second Mythman's kudos to Hobie! I just picked up my new 2011 Pro Angler today! :D I got one because my 2010 developed a very large crack in one of the rear scupper holes. I took it to my dealer, showed him that I had been using the Hobie cart with the supports and he turned it in. Hobie replied a few days later and VOILA! Thanks ACK! You have great people in your Houston Store and Andrew is a pleasure to work with.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Another satisfied customer I had a similar issue with my boat that happened this summer. The kayak say for a couple months, my heart was literally sunken in my chest. What happened to my boat made it pretty much worthless and I thought that I would never ride in a Pro Angler again. Thank God for the internet and these forum/the wonderful people at Austin Kayak and Canoe as well as Hobie. Within one day the claim was filed and was approved by Hobie. In a day where companies tend to turn their back on the customer Hobie stepped up and made me a customer for life.

Thanks Guys!

Where can I get my Hobie Sticker to put on the truck.