Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i have found that the main halyard will not bypass the bolt rope on the sail in the composit tip track. what a piece of junk. that tip has been a real problem since it came out. has anyone else experienced this. the only way to fix this i know of is to change out the bolt rope in the sail or put up a very small - in diamater- main halyard. any other people with same problem? if so how did they fix this?

Post subject: Comptip
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If your having problems, measure the diameter of the line that your using. With the new stronger lines available I reduced the diameter from what Hobie has listed and I seldom have had the problem arise. You also might look at the bolt rope of the sail for irregularities. Spray it and the mast track with McLube, Great stuff.

I notice the issue only when the battens are stuffed in real tight.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject: composit mast tip
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i have checked out the bolt rope which is larger than the bolt rope of the old sail but works well in the metal part of the mast. when it hits the composit it starts dragging. there is not as much room for the halyard to pass the bolt rope. the sails are almost new and are hobie sails. they just didnt take into consideration the useless comp.tip i am from the old school where the mast was metal all the way up and it worked great. it seems some fool is always inventing something to save us from ourselves and complicate our lives with anoyher problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You should be using a 3/16 or smaller haylard. You do not need anything larger it just causes friction and added weight. I have had plenty of comptips and never had a problem. I don't really like them but thats what we get. It just takes a couple of people blaming someone else for there mistakes. Welcome to the USA where if something bad happens to you it must be someone else's fault.

Post subject: mast tip
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

that is why i dont live in the usa.you sound like the guy who designed this problem since you are defending him.just admit it was a waste of time and money just like the government . now stop changing the subject and get back to the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
that is why i dont live in the usa

Best answer for your problem, buy a used all aluminum mast.

Also, for future posts, I would not recommend mentioning anything bad about comptips. This issue has been beat to death on this site.

Thinking about it, you could have one more alternative. Sell your H18 and purchase a Tiger. They have all aluminum masts and are made in Europe. This would take care of your halyard problem, the comptip issue, and liability issues with Hobie Cat USA. Betch ya didn't know that Hobie Cat European companies are not subject to North American court arrangements.

If you must keep the 18, then might I suggest doing a search on this site using the keyword comptip. If I remember correctly, some time ago, this issue was discussed before with a positive solution. Something about flaring the ends of the comtip track, but don't quote me.

By the way,
Quote:
I don't really like them but thats what we get.

I don't think Dlennard likes the comptips either and was not actually defending them. He probably knows, just like I do, that we are stuck with these things if you want to race in Hobie one design, so try to make the best of it. Remember, you only need a comptip if you race. If you just pleasure sail, sell the comptip mast and purchase an all aluminum mast. I know that there is a mast in Oklahoma for sale, just don't know how much it would cost to get to you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
now stop changing the subject and get back to the problem.

Cracker,

We have been using CompTips for over 20 years, so we understand them pretty well. We don't experience the problem you are having, so something else (other than the CompTip) is likely causing you problems.

You note that this is a new sail? Does this mean you did not have the problem before going to this new sail?

Where did you get the Hobie 18 Sail?

What diameter halyard are you using?

There is an FAQ I wrote on hoisting sails that might help:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=371

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey cranker,

Take a pill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

cracker,

I was not defending the comptip I was saying that I have had boats with them and not had any problems so you should be able to get yours to work. I don't have any comptips anymore.

You might try to shape the top of the bolt rope to get rid of the sharpe edges.
You also can make sue the edges of the comptip are tapered where the two tracks meet. Also use lots of sail kote. What size halyard are you using?

Post subject: comptip
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i have gone to the smallest halyard i dare use and siliconed the bolt rope and she works but the track on the comptip should have been made larger to accomadate the stock halyard---poor planning---if you dont use gloves pulling the sail up your going to get tore up.you didnt have to do this in the old days.a change in the wrong direction. and i am pointing the finger of blame on the designer.where im from we dont congratulate people for making our life harder. no pills but i will take a bud

Post subject: Get it?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:05 am 
Site Admin

Cracker,

You just don't seem get it... we all use the CompTip and we do not have the problem you are blaming on "the designer". Actually, on a Hobie 18 the CompTip has been an improvement in performance over the all aluminum mast and hoisting has never been an issue for me. Raising the sail on a Hobie Cat has ALWAYS been an issue. They are difficult if not done properly.

I think you really need to look at the "Hoisting" FAQ I linked to. Check the batten tensions. Check that you are feeding at the base properly. If you just crank on the halyard...even an all aluminum mast will bind the halyard against the luff rope.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)