Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just got back and it was great as usual
I did get a police warning ticket about boat near to dune grass I moved the boat a few feet and had no problems
The police are really keen on any form of glass bottles Any drink in a can is OK on the beach
I kept the boat on the Saint Helena Sound a few hundred feet from the ocean The waves are much smaller My 21 SE sometimes makes launching in large surf really tense.
We visited some of the large sand bars and found the usual sand dollars. On this trip I saw many sting rays in the shallow water
There is a good public access at the 2500 block there is just enough room to put any hobie on cat tracks into the beach except the 21SE I had to launch my 21 SE at the boat landing and motor around
If you are looking for a family sail area Edisto Beach is hard to beat 8) :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll be in deist for a week in aprilnand was thinking about taking one of my hobies. Were you able to leave yours on the beach or did you have to put it on the trailer every time?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

on the beach do not place on any grass keep walkways clear
Edisto is great Get a map try Pine Island at low tide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No problems with people messing with/stealing overnight?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

very very family someone might sit on the boat but that is about it
Very few people on the beach even in season
best beach access is drive down the beach until you see the sign for the town hall the beach acess is to the left

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

this sounds like a great place. there's supposed to be good camping too. thanks for the tip -it will be in next years plan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have done this trip as well and we never had any issues whatsoever with stealing etc. Has someone else had a bad experience at this location before or something. I had not heard of this until this thread so I am interested to see if that is the case because I probably won't go back there with the family if so.

Last edited by jounderw on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I haven't sailed there yet, but plan to in April. However have been there many times and haven't had a bit of problems.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't sailed there but we have vacationed there the last 4 years. Very family friendly beach. Check the reg's online about boats on the beach overnight to see if they say anything. Last summer was the first summer I've seen a Hobie 16 sailing there. They tied it up to some wood pilings in front of a parking lot on the north side of the pier. I believe this was due to the tides and how they can get high. I asked a local about it and they chuckled that the owner knew the right people to have it there overnight. Hopefully one day I can get to know the right people.

They did a beach re-nourishment program several years ago and the beach can have a steep slope to it. At high tide the waves break right at the edge of the shore. Could prove to be tricky going in and out. The beach also has jetties to keep it interesting.

Seabrook and Kiawah are just north of Edisto and could be an easy sail if interested in tooling around.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Had 4 days on edisto mid April and had a blast, even though I snapped a rudder blade the last day. Checked with the chamber of commerce before going and was told it was fine to leave the boat on the beach, just don't mess with the grass. I put my 18 on the beach via beach access #25, it was just barely big enough to get through on cat trax. A storm was coming through so I pulled it off the beach a day early luckily. The tide came up so high that night that I probably would have lost a boat! Great place to sail, hit lots of jelly fish with the rudders.