Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 21 SE rudder pins
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The boat has become quite the fixer upper. The latest find (yes I sailed twice with it this way) is the lack of rudder pins. The boat just had four bolts attaching the rudder to the boat.

My question is:
1)does anyone know the specifications of the rudder pins? They don't seem to be stocked anywhere near by. A couple months ago my business bought a lathe and am thinking of turning a few sets.
2) the manual calls for a washer. The new boats don't show this. Does everyone use it?

Thanks

ps. I have two of the four wing tubes fixed and looks good. The front tubes are next but I had to make a pieces of the tube as about 3 inches was missing from the top and bottom. Fun!

Post subject: Re: 21 SE rudder pins
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You should be able to find the right diameter stainless rod without having to machine any. I went over and looked at my boat because I didn't remember the setup. All the weight of the rudder system is supported by the lower gudgeon. The washer is on top of the plastic insert in the lower gudgeon and under the lower rudder casting. There is a little clearance between the casting and insert in the upper gudgeon. I guess it eliminates the gudgeons and castings to be a perfect fit, and spreads the load on top of the insert. The insert would get chewed up without the washer. I'd redo it that way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

this hits the easy button
call Murrays Marine
I bought some this summer one was l little bent bought 2 put the old good one in the Hobie hell box just in case Make sure you say HC21SE pins
Also try the best shock ever made from murrays

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

After wearing out a few of the aluminum ones I went with the hollow stainless pins. Eliminates the corrosion problem too. You must use the washers and make sure they're in the right place. Rudder on top, then washer, then gudgeon.
I never trailered any distance with rudders on, too much leverage on the transoms.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rudder pins that I made for my boat are 3/8" round stainless steel rods,11" long.Drill a small hole near both ends sized for a split ring and get some washers to.Sand the cut ends slightly rounded and that's it.Buy a 4' long piece of 3/8 rod(from your local industrial sheet metal contractor) and make an extra set.
I even had to fab one at the lake one day and "borrowed" a 3/8" alum rod for a port-a-let's toilet paper holder....it worked great! :lol:
Ah the things a sailor will do to enjoy the sun and the wind...Bill 404 21SE