Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Unbalanced AI
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MAX, I'll suggest it to the skunkworks folks :wink:

We have the sail, the fins and raw gravity to help us mount the wave - but taking control of it to avoid a sub ride (or pitchpole) is usually the problem. In open water, when the waves are coming every 5 -13 seconds, from more than one direction, it becomes a real fun dance.

Frankly, once the swells are over 2 feet, all AI's want to dive anyway. At that point, how we attack the wave and trim the sail makes all the difference.

I try to never forget that we are the heaviest things on our boats. Some of us weigh twice what an AI weighs. And our weight is higher, giving it greater influence over the boats balance. Just leaning and shifting around the cockpit makes a difference. (Being a surfer all my life it's just natural for me to want to move around in swells).

As we experimented with rear-seating platforms here, we noticed much better nose behavior in the downwind runs. Shifting weight to a combo of WW Aka and rear seat worked best in flat water and following/quartering seas.

I watch outrigger sailing canoes shredding surf using the same techniques.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Couldn't agree more mate. Both Islands are obviously very sensitive to weight balance - that is, if you're keen to push them to their limits.

Haven't had that much experience with my TI yet in such conditions really, but when I crewed on racing keel boats, we always moved around on deck depending on the angle of wind to optimise balance... and our combined weight was only a small proportion to that of the yacht, whereas on an Island it's a major factor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Max,

I agree with your analysis about weight transfer on the TI but I'm just to lazy to move around the boat.

A couple of weeks ago I was sailing my TI solo and a friend was in his AI. He said the front of my boat was coming out of the water so high he could see air under my boat all the way to the center board while I was close hauled.

It probably wasn't the fastest way to sail but it sure was a rush. It felt like the boat was going to take off.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeh, you can clearly see daylight under my bow in my solo vid at First Offshore. Only a moderate wind that day, but I could hear and feel the bow slapping around... not optimum for sailing upwind, but still a heck of a lot of fun! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very interesting thread, fellows.

Thanks!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith,

My wife and I will be in Key Largo the first weekend in November with a TI and an AI. Any chance on getting together?

2008 AI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm still out in the rockies, but should return in about 2 wks. So, yes, we should get together. Several others--Ted Jean (AI), Marc Krawatsky (TI), and TS Brady (TI)--might be interested in join in.

Where will you be staying? Are you talking about Nov 1 or Nov 6-7?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We'll be at the Bay Cove Motel the nights of the 5th, 6th, and 7th of November.

The more the merrier. I would love to sail with other TI's because I'm planning on trying to make some plates to block the hole at the bottom of the mirage drive hole to improve performance. It would be fun to see if it makes a difference.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jerry, you could try putting in the block and then taping over the hole just for a test run. I think it would make a difference, but the difference between sailing with the block in versus sailing with the drive in isn't enough for me to bother taking out the drive.

If things are conducive down here, I'll come on down to the Bay Cove for a sail that weekend - either an overnighter or a day sail.

Ted

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ted,

If my design works it will smooth out the bottom of my boat and stop water from shooting up around the Hobie plug. I never sail my TI with the drive in anyway.

My cellular number is 904-955-3932. Give me a call if you can make it down that weekend it would be fun getting together.

2008 AI