Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a 14 turbo and I am looking into getting a set of hydro foils as featured in Hobie's parts and accessories catalog. I am on the heavy side (225 lbs ish) and thought these might help out with keeping low hull from submerging. Any feedback?

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hawk, drop over to Hobie 16 forums, some good info was just posted. Actuelly, you might consider upgrading to a 16, I heard the ideal weight for a 14 is like 185lbs.

[color=#4000FF]1974 Hobie 16 (Keepin 4 my sons)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

After looking at the 16 threads, seems to be alot of mixed opinions out there. I thought of the 16 a little too late and I wanted to learn on something more manageable since I sail solo and the increased sail capacity for a newbie was not what I was after. So far so good as I've managed to pitch pole it only 3 times in last 10 sailings. I am just looking for that extra confidence boost to fly a hull more often.

Anyone with hands on experience with hydrofoil kit please share.

thanks.

'95 H16 sail #101148

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Latrobe, PA, USA *** Show YOUR Location - Edit Profile ! ***
I Googled 'hydrofoil catamaran pitchpole' and found these interesting links:
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/cat-hull-hydrofoil-20927.html
http://www.windriderforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=2200.0
http://www.foils.org/bbs_archives020321_040719/9%20%20Hydrofoils-%20Sailboat.htm
(The last one is pretty heavy, but there are some pertinent comments.)

The controversy in these links and even this forum indicates to me that the effectiveness of bow-mounted foils is still unclear and unsettled.

If you have an H16 with more front flotation* it may be superfluous but on a 14 it may be valuable. *insert cynical 'training wheels' picture, etc.

Bottom line to me: I'm still going to try them on my H14 Turbo (modified) and if they don't work for me I can always recycle them!

Someone here- or somewhere I read- commented on a system they had developed which included a method of releasing the foil if it became totally submerged and began to act contrary to what it was designed to do. If anyone can find that post please provide a link?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hawk,
Get your butt on a 16! I learned on "the only way to sail" Hobie 16, later on acquired a 14, if I hadn't been so experienced on a 16, I would have given up on sailing a 14 long time ago, on a 14, you have to worry about weight placement, bows dipping, going over instantly, on the 16, it seems every thing happens a little slower, developing into what happens, yet quite fast. Try it, you'll like it!

[color=#4000FF]1974 Hobie 16 (Keepin 4 my sons)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah, get on a Hobie 16... you'll have a lot more fun.

Add a righting pole or righting bag if you need help.

The ideal weight for a H14 is about 155lbs...

And even with that, it's a squirrely boat...

When I go from my 14 to a club 16... the 16 feels immense, smooth, well mannered...

And when I go from my H14 to the H18... the H18 feels... like a BMW M5.

But myself weighing only 160, I can (and do) sail the daylights out of the 14 and don't worry about righitng it myself...

You'll have more fun and much better performance w/your weight on a H16.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with RobPatt. I weigh only 150 lbs so soloing my H14T is a lot of fun. But, the boat does not like a lot of weight. Try out a H16 if you can. I think you'll find it much more to your liking. I suspect that with your weight, you will be able to right it yourself with just a decent righting line if you follow the proper technique.

Dave W
Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I solo'd a H16 for most of the 20 years I owned it. During that time I weighed from 205 to 225 lbs. If you do go solo get a righting bag, power pole or some other righting aid. OR, do what I did and get a H17Sport, a sweet alternative to the H16 for the solo sailor. Faster, greater comfort - the wings, better in high wind - with much less tendency to pitch pole even with aggressive sailing. 8)
P.S. Hydrofoils do work, I have 3 friends with H14s, each has hydrofoils, and I can't tell you how many times they have saved their butts, but not always. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Fastcat- All good thoughts for a future upgrade down the line. I have seen H16s around my area but so far no H17s, but the H17s do look sweet though and will keep that in mind. Thanks for the the feedback on the foils from real people that have them... sounds like they are worth it.

As for the rest, I will give the H16 a try in the spring when weather turns for the better and more people have theirs out as fall is well on the way here in PA. I'm still sailing but not all are as brave or crazy. :) Might need to look into a wetsuit! Season officially ends here on the 31st anyway so maybe in time for spring.

Keep the feedback coming.
-Jay

'95 H16 sail #101148