Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not too long ago there was a question about using a downrigger on a PA and one of the replies suggested using a LongLiner "poor man's downrigger" instead(see http://www.anglerinnovations.com/pages/homeofll.aspx). This device looks interesting and would certainly be easier to use from a kayak than a true downrigger. Posts on another kayak forum kind of ridiculed the LongLiner as a fad that is impractical because it requires estimation of the angle of the line against the water surface and knowledge of the amt of line out length to determine depth from the supplied trig-table. These critics had never fished one though. Anybody out there have any on-water experience using a LongLiner? How well does it work? How hard is it to estimate the depth? Any tips?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim,
I'm glad you asked this question. I've been looking at the LongLiner for a while now, and have decided to go ahead and order at least one. I won't have time left, when I do receive it, to use in the Sierras this year. Everything will be frozen over by then. Hopefully, next spring/summer, it'll help getting down to the bigger fish that I can see on my finder and are down around 40'.
The videos make it seem simple enough. One thing I do know; trying to operate a down-rigger on a kayak is a "PITA." Let's hope someone with real LongLiner experience will answer your question.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hal-
I did order one but have not received it yet. I had been using a Cuda size Torpedo Diver (see http://www.torpedodivers.com/) with great success. At typical PA trolling speeds, this gets down real deep with minimal resistance and can be used to depths of > 100 ft. Trouble with these is that they are expensive, about $25 each. I had mine jerry-rigged to release when a salmon hits and then to slide down the line for more easily landing the fish, but I think that this led to failure of my 20# fluoro leader (broke in the middle of a 20-ft length) with a particularly aggressive fish on the line. Consequently I lost both the fish and the Torpedo! I am looking at cheaper low-drag alternatives to the Torpedo. Anybody actually used a LongLiner?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, I received my LongLiner today. I will not get out to fish with it for another week, but noticed one potential problem right away. The LongLiner is designed to have your main line slide through the body of the device, inside a very narrow diameter channel. That means you have to thread your line through it before attaching any snap swivels or fluorocarbon leader. That also means you probably should not use a leader longer than your rod, or you will not be able to reel in the fish any closer than the point of attachment of the leader. Also, it makes it difficult to use the rod holders on the PA, since you cannot spool any leader onto the reel with the LongLiner on the main line, and the device is too large to fit inside the rod holder tube. I'll work something out and report back.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have you tried a fish seeker? They have a number of settings for a variety of depths, are cheap, and pretty easy to use.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, I have used fish seekers. They seem to get down to 50' or so OK, but again, rely on drag to produce depth. I was hoping for a low-drag solution that would take me down to 100+' without a downrigger. The Torpedo Divers do this well but are quite a bit more expensive than the LongLiner, which is my Plan B.