Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Advice on DrySuits
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'day Max n Slaughter

I've got mine sorted now but haven't had a chance to use it yet :shock:
Have been gallivanting all over the countryside the past couple of months and will continue doing so until we get back home late Nov.
Had a week on a narrow boat on the Trent canal out of Nottingham - great fun with a good crew :) Been all over the Lake District, Peak District & Yorkshire Dales - including Aidensfield (Heartbeat) and spent a few days living in the Tower of London & managed to get out with our heads intact :lol:
Currently sitting in a 9th floor penthouse unit in Haarlem, Netherlands & it's our 42nd wedding anniversary. Apparently we're going to the RLD tonight - just for a look of course :roll: :wink: :twisted:
Still got Belgium, France & Spain to visit - what a life :P :mrgreen:
Only trouble is I couldn't manage to pack the AI :lol: :lol:

Slaughter, hope you're gunna be home in March - we're thinking about paying you a visit :roll:
See ya........ :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey mate. Good to hear from you. Congrats on your 42nd and glad to know all is going well. I bet you looked at that Lake District and wish you had packed 'you know what'. Beautiful isn't it. My wife and daughter have just got back from the UK with a Greece and Turkey side trip. Had a ball.

At this stage March looks good. We will make sure we sort out something to keep you amused. You missed a good outing out from Patonga the other week ( check out the log ).

Look after yourself mate.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anyone try the Stolquist Bpod ?

Was at the local kayak store on Sat and thats is what they had. Didn't have a large to try on but will be getting some in this weekend. Pricetag was list @ $625 and when I balked and talked with them a while ... by the time I was leaving they were more in line with internet prices at just below $500.

I left thinking thats ALOT of $$$ for something I wont use that often but have been thinking it through and basically without one my season is through here in NY.

any word - good or bad ?

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Passwind.

I basically have the same suit as that. Its the Kokatat Angler addition. It has double Denier protection on the lap, knees, arms. Basically for putting a fish in your lap protection. Anywhere a hook or gear will snag and rip it protection. Neoprene collar. Best cold wheather gear i have bought to extend my season which is about to come into play in about 2-3weeks. Even now the mornings can be brisk. I can laugh at the cold all winter. Layering is the key. They will make you sweat a lil so the right type of under garment is required. NO COTTON. Wool and polypro, synthetic, only. Don't forget good head gear though and gloves. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Buy it once and be done with it. No reason to half azz it. Buy it once and save yourself a bunch of money in the long run. Think of it as getting a big discount,,,, eventually you will want to go this route AND be safer.

I purchased the Kokatat SuperNova Angler (extra denier panels for fishing and water SOT re-entry, snag on something). It is the bomb here in the Florida Panhandle. I spoke with the company about sizing and they were right on the money with the recommendations. I normally would have bought in Med as I am 5'8" at 170lbs a lil big in the chest and shoulders from weight lifting. They told me to get the Large so as to account for the layering. After fully layering up with 3 layers socks,,,, 1 is wicking polypro, next is thicker Polypro then last is 100% wool, thick, military dive sock (I have size 8 feet and now use a size 12 dive boot after socks/suit),
Body: UnderArmour type (CHAMPION Training wear at Target,,,its cheaper) on skin, then polypro and then fleece outer shell and it is a manuver to get in the angled zipper over shoulders. The whole thing is a baggy without the layering but just right after. I can now go on the worst days and laugh at the cold that keeps others in front of the fireplace. Just recently we had a cold snap and I went in my neighbors pool,,, drank a coke with ice,,,he flipped!!! AND REMEMBER,,, NO COTTON GARMENTS OF ANY BLEND!!!!!! This was a post on a different web site last January concering the cold snap.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My Stolquist dry suit is at least 15 years old and the rubber seals final ripped.Be sure to get booties sewn in them and a relief zipper.I got mine a little too long in size also which I regretted.The thermo jumpsuit they make is still in like new condition,get it too.
My dry suit was a very good investment and Stolquist will rebuilt it this winter for a reasonable price.Just extending the boat season and being comfortable is well worth it :D
Bill 404 21SE