Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is perhaps a difficult question to answer at this stage.

I am planning to order a dune TI soon. Really looking forward to it!
But I wonder if I should wait for the definitive rudder fix.
I live in Hong Kong and would really like to have the kayak by March 1. It takes a bit longer for them to get here from the time of order, since the container shipments from the Australian distributor to here are not as frequent. So I'd like to order in the next month or so.

Is there any disadvantage of ordering the one with the current rudder and then replacing once the upgrade comes? Will the new boats get priority or will we get the fix right away? If there is absolutely no disadvantange in terms of either quality of the kayak after the mod and timing of arrival of the fix, I think I am ready to pull the trigger now and make sure I get the boat sooner. :)

BTW, I love the mirage kayaks. Great product! I have an i14t and therefore I am a bit slower than my friend on his Oasis. Looking forward to getting him back on that once I get the TI. ;)

Thanks,

Pesan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:44 am 
Site Admin

We will not likely have product with the new rudder in place by March 1st. I suggest going with the existing configuration and getting some sailing in! The conversion to the new rudder should be fairly simple.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pesan,
What Matt said!
We got one of the first TI's in Aus and it hasn't had a rudder problem. Sure there were a few quality control issues (wrong screw length, no loctite, aka lock tolerances out, loose mast receiver screws) which was disappointing but at no stage have I regretted the early purchase. Hobie should be on top of these early production run issues now so the Ti you get should be OK.
Why miss out on water time waiting for a fix that may well have teething troubles initially any way? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pesan,

I agree with Matt & stringy.

My TI has the rudder problem but it's worth the inconvenience of using the bungee to hold the rudder down. With the bungee in place the rudder is smooth and reliable.

Buy one and start sailing.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I too have just asked the same question about the ETA of the permanent fix, as I too have just placed an order for a TI.

My dealer have TIs in stock but I'm after the Ivory Dune and this is yet to arrive in Australia - apparently. Hense the wait for me.

I was hoping it will have the permanent fix rudder in place but based on Matt's reply, it seems unlikely. :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt, Stringy and Jerry for your prompt reply! Indeed the bungie solution seems like a reasonable workaround for the time being and if the upgrade does not have any negative side effect in the boat, I am not going to waste any nice spring days. :)

I will make arrangements and try to order it this coming month so that it is here as soon as there is a hint of spring in the air.

Thanks again!

-Pesan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:06 am 
Site Admin

Understand we have to do testing of production parts on this to be sure we have got it right. Don't want to rush this one.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pesan, it sucks not having a Hobie dealer you can rely on for parts and repair service, but you can count on us to help. Consider us your technical support line.

At this point, I would have 100% confidence in Hobie's ability to provide you with a rudder upgrade that you will be happy with, and that you can install yourself.

Times wasting! Start sailing ASAP.

PS. Order the tramps too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks nohuhu. It is nice to be able to count on this great forum. There is so much useful information and a lot of it has been very handy for my i14t.

Yes, I am definitely getting the tramps. My only current doubt is about which hobie cart to get. I also notice both pairs of holes for the cart are on the back half of the boat. So I am also considering making my own cart so that I have one near the front not using the hole and one for the back (possibly a hobie cart through the holes). That way:

1) I don't have to lift any weight unless going uphill.

2) It can prevent both front and back drives from potentially touching the ground even if they are plugged in. (Added convenience so that I don't have to remove/insert the drives on a calm sea landing/departure.)

Cheers,

-Pesan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pesan,

I find that if the wheels are in the middle there is little/no weight to lift. I am getting myself another set of wheels, the middle set of wheels to get the TI in and out of the water. The second set of wheels at the back kist for loading onto the car.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yer welcome.

Two carts sounds like a good idea. There are several good threads going right now dealing with the TI dolly options.

Unless you turn the TI on it's side, (before assembling the boat) you'll find inserting/removing the turbo drives on dry land is not an easy task. They need to go in straight and will contact the ground if the TI is on the cart. There is not enough clearance, unless you lift one end pretty high.

It's far easier to put them on/off in about 3 ft of water. Get in the habit and this will help you avoid the dreaded "Oops - I grounded my drives again damage".

Inserting the scupper carts, on water or land, is going to be another challenge. I'll let someone else jump in here with cart advice.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have heard of adding water into the wheels; not sure I like this.

I have not tried yet; but when the rains stop I am going to use SCUBA diving weights. These will be able to clip on and of the cart. Not sure what I am going to do with the weights while I am sailing (will let you know soon; I hope)