Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: weather helm with i9s
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi-

I am experiencing severe weather helm sailing my i9s. I realize I can install the larger rudder to make it more controllable, but wonder if I can also make the boat more balanced from the get-go? Perhaps I've been unable to find previous posts on this topic-directions please!

Thanks for any help!
Dave Bredemeier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When weather helm is bad (I have the sailing rudder and the turbo fins) I have learned that i) keeping the boat totally flat by shifting your weight and ii) releasing the sheet slowly to allow the mast to be bent more towards the bow of the boat (in lea helm it is the opposite -- you can pull the sheet in tighter to 'rake' the mast back). If you have continuous weather helm, the mast is likely raked too far aft -- tighten the bow shroud to let the mast rake forward more (quite a bit more than I ever did in a sailing dinghy).

Feathercraft Big Kahuna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK- I will try your suggestions; thanks very much!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make sure that you are also 'locking' the rudder down using the cleat on the hull. If its rasing up from the pressure of the sail rig that will also cause steering issues.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

that's a good point too; many thanks!

I spent decades with a Laser, but this inflatable baby is a new experience for a geezer!
And I'm so pleased I can use this storable baby in so many ways!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just for the sake of it, I puchased the sailing rudder. I then bolted the smaller rudder to the larger rudder to add about six inches more bite to the blade... the only draw back is you have to hand raise the rudder... Don't use the pull string to raise the rudder... Try it, you won't go back to the single rudder...

I also take the smaller rudder off the larger sailing rudder when I am not sailing...

Maybe some day the Hobie folks will make a bigger rudder for the i9, i12 and the i14T....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

With my i12S, I rake the mast as far forward as the side shrouds allow. I have the sailing rudder, only half of which is in the water, but it helps you steer straight. Sheet out a bit when you loose steering or round up. It is like sailing a shoal draft boat, you don't point, you reach. If you need to go upwind, pedal, with or without the sail assisting. The sail adds another element of fun, but I still have my Laser too.