It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

US SAILING’S One Design Sailing Symposium
November 13-14, 2010
Balboa Yacht Club
Corona del Mar, Calif.

Plan to attend the US SAILING One-Design Sailing Symposium. The ODSS is for all sailors who care about class growth and participation. The ODSS brings together racing rock stars and legendary one-design leaders in our sport to one venue for a great exchange of ideas and information. Keynote speakers include Gary Jobson, Tom Leweck, and Tom Schock.

This year there is special emphasis on media and classes. Learn about RP, websites, photography, video, and social media. Learn how to effectively promote your class.

The OSS is design for fleet officers, fleet builders, class officers, regatta organizers everyone else who cares about growing one-design sailing. Many classes are sending sailors. Some even pay the registration for class representatives.

Participants can take part in three special events at the ODSS

• Sail Fast workshops. Participants will enjoy two days of learning how to increase their speed on the race course. Nick Turney, North Sails Loft Manager

• Marketing with Photographs: Fried Elliott will lead three additional hands-on sessions covering all aspects of what it takes to create world-class racing photos, including: Camera equipment and settings, Composition and on-the-water positioning, An actual photoshoot (either on-the-water or on shore depending on the conditions), Critique of the photoshoot, Post processing techniques, Distribution, publishing and media fulfillment

• Club Judges Seminar on Friday, November 12. The $55 fee includes a full day seminar, continental breakfast, lunch, and test. Click here for additional info. Register separately online.

Some traditions don’t change –don’t miss the OSS parties on Friday and Saturday nights. Enjoy more fun than is printable on Friday and Saturday night. Many classes are sending fleet builders and class leaders. Get more boats on the line. Be a part it!

Register online: https://secure.ussailing.org/ussis/register/index.asp?eventid=562486
Agenda: http://racing.ussailing.org/Assets/Racing/One-Design/ODSS/2010+ODSS/ODSS+Agenda.pdf
ODSS website: http://racing.ussailing.org/Categories/One_Design/One-Design/One-Design_Symposiums/2010_ODSS.htm

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:53 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

And check out what's on the cover of the program:
A little stealth marketing from your favorite HOTLINE editor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the cover Karen Sikora (from the Hobie Factory) crewing for Roger Brown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice job Matthew.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Woa, pretty cool!! I never saw that photo before. Have to get one of those programs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello Matt,

Are there any Hobie Cat representatives planning to attend? Are other long term Hobie advoactes planning to represent? Any thoughts on people who live near attending and passing information on to the class?

Is there any way to have the Southern California clubs look at how many juniors they are training and losing in Sabots? Maybe incorporate cats to the teen programs to retain interest? Can either the factory or a local fleet set up an experimental junior loaner program at some key club? MBYC would be a good choice as would ABYC. There are hundreds of juniors lost yearly because they are not the top 10% of the fleet or are just bored out of their minds sailing at 3kts. FJs, 420s and the like are just an extention of the parent pushed boredom. Given the choice, Sabot, FJ, 420, or Wave, the juniors alway pick the wave. Just think what a 16 would do for making a teenager excited about sailing.

How can we make a YC sponsored cat sailing program happen? Can we leverage the success the Lake Arrowhead is having with teen sailors?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I can easily answer the first couple of questions:
Hammond wrote:
Are there any Hobie Cat representatives planning to attend?
As far as I know, and according to the registered participants list, no one from the Hobie Cat factory is planning to attend.
Hammond wrote:
Are other long term Hobie advocates planning to represent?
Jeff Newsome and Michelle Eatough are planning to attend and write an article for the HOTLINE about it. As the producer of the program (that contains all the presentations), I'll make it available to anyone who wants it. The only thing that it doesn't contain are the keynote addresses by Tom Lewick and Gary Jobson. Hopefully, Jeff/Michelle will take good notes.

Hammond wrote:
Is there any way to have the Southern California clubs look at how many juniors they are training and losing in Sabots? Maybe incorporate cats to the teen programs to retain interest? Can either the factory or a local fleet set up an experimental junior loaner program at some key club? MBYC would be a good choice as would ABYC. There are hundreds of juniors lost yearly because they are not the top 10% of the fleet or are just bored out of their minds sailing at 3kts. FJs, 420s and the like are just an extention of the parent pushed boredom. Given the choice, Sabot, FJ, 420, or Wave, the juniors alway pick the wave. Just think what a 16 would do for making a teenager excited about sailing.

How can we make a YC sponsored cat sailing program happen? Can we leverage the success the Lake Arrowhead is having with teen sailors?

Those questions are much more difficult for me to answer - especially from 2000+ miles away. It takes boots on the ground to make that happen. There are enough catamaran people involved at ABYC (Dan DeLave, Jeff N., John Williams, etc.) that I could see it happening there sooner.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just a quick note to say...

great photo

great event

And I wish I could attend.

Mimi
Fleet 204

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mimi Appel wrote:
Just a quick note to say...

great photo

great event

And I wish I could attend.

Mimi
Fleet 204

I secound all of the above

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello Matt,

Thanks for the great response. I am glad to hear that Jeff and Michelle are to attend. No couple are better supporters of cat sailing in Southern California.

I am not sure if this event is the forum to discuss the loss of youth sailors, but if all one design classes are to grow, we need to retain this group of sailors past age 13. Ultimately we need participation in some form of sailing until they are old enough and successful enough to buy a boat of their own. This is no small feat.

Sailing is an expensive, time consuming activity. If it is not fun, there are other options out there. This is where a junior program Hobie 16/Wave could be a critical part keeping these juniors involved. Most of the Southern California clubs own Sabots, FJs, and 420s, but not one cat. The monohulls are used in classes and racing, but rarely pleasure sailed. Lending a cat to the junior sailors would at least eliminate the expense of buying a boat to try. As we all know, once you try a cat you are hooked.

The longer the juniors sail, the more likely they are to stick around long term. Giving these junior sailors fun/easy sailing options important to this goal. Nothing is more fun or more easy than sailing a cat fast.

Thanks again for your quick response,
Mike Hammond

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Mike Hammond: THANKS again for the use of your WAVE for the Youth in Arrowhead, you're awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Right back at you. Thanks to all who made that event possible.

The best part for me was that my boat was delivered back and everything was as I had left it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris Dunn should get a medal for all his work on the entire event, and it was he who ensured safe passage back for your boat.