Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

well its official I payed the man for the boat but rain and mud so I will bring boat home this weekend
1989 h 21 se # 378
I was wondering where all the h 21 se are
I am in the Albany NY area and will sail upstate NY lakes and bring boat to Long Island when we visit inlaws on the North Fork
thanks
Ted

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I live and sail my 21SE in southern Indiana 1989 #404.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bill 404 wrote:
I live and sail my 21SE in southern Indiana 1989 #404.
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:13 am
Hi bill are you the original owner, how long haVE YOU HAD THE BOAT?
Do you trailer sail it or is it at a lake? Have you had any issues over the years?
Thanks Ted

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ted,
I got my new 21SE at the sailboat show in Indianapolis,IN spring time of '89.So I had it for 21 years? WOW!I trailer it but did at one time keep it at a club on Lake Monroe by Bloomington ,IN.Set up time is about an hour with help so I usually spend the entire weekend at the lake.I trailer it wide and have for 19 or 20 years?It is the most comfortable sailboat I have ever sailed ,durable design with a nice stable "foot print" on the water.I solo sail it most of the time but have had big groups come sailing with me too.(mainly my children and lots of their friends)
Enjoy your new boat,Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have owned my '88 #031 for 2 -years. I live in North Bend, WA and sail Lake Washington. I also trailer it wide and have not had any problems yet. Depending who is sailing and how many our setup time is 40 - 60 minutes. I have a rigging list for new sailors to allow them to help with the rigging time.

I agree with Bill, the 21SE is the most enjoyable boat to sail.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had SE 491 for about 7 years. Prior to it I had a Prindle 19, Hobie 18, a Shark and a Sea Spray.
I sail mostly on the "Alton Pool" which is a 30 mile stretch of the Mississippi between dams 25 and 26 near St. Louis.
They're good boats but like any other boat there are compromises.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just bought my 21 (Sail #40 but hull number doesn't match) this fall in Indiana and brought it back to Texas. I will sail on Lake Texoma most of the time but will do a few trips to the gulf. Since I brought it home I've trailered it wide and even though I have only set it up three times it takes less than an hour. Look to be at 40 minutes when I get it down.

I had 4 broken pockets from freezing that I have just fixed (wasn't that hard). Read you had the same problem so don't worry if I can do it you can too.

Drew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hey Drew thanks for the reply am not to worried about the repairs i used to do fiberglass, gelcoat work when I worked in marina on long Island, I love the smell of polyester in the morning.....
what kind of shapewas your boat in ?
what year is it
what type of sails do you have?
Lots of questions I know
Thanks
Ted

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's a 1988. It has a Randy Smyth mainsail and a Danger (I think) jib. I fixed the batten pockets and a couple other spots on the main and should have probably replaced it ($200). The boat was not in bad shape but I should have looked at it more closely after driving 1,000 miles. He said the wing tube was fixed on one side but found out that all four were broke. It had two inspection port on the back but I added two on the front right in front of the cross bar. Put the wings in and glassed it to be bullet proof. I'm now replacing bolts that were used instead of rudder pins with the right parts.
A couple things I learned (the hard way): 1) when trailering any distance make sure you bungee/tie the jib block up to the wing or over to the center board so it lays on the hull. For me the block almost rubbed a hole in a very good tramp. 2) The wings need to be seated ALL the way down and on the right side. When you are sure you get them down mark the spot and label the side (I used a silver Sharpie some people say tape (red and green could be good)). When I didn't realize I didn't have it down all the way (didn't know pocket was broke just above the structural support) it cracked the inner tube worse, not that it really mattered much after I got into the repair but I thought I really screwed up on the lake. 3) I have had 14,16 & 17 Hobies none had a furling jib and I didn't know what to do with all the extra rope originally. The guys helped tell me that you need a small piece that will attached after the jib is raised and go into the cam (30" I think) 4) I came with Cat Trax and they are worth their weight in gold. I hate launching at ramps prefer grass beaches and if you can't back to the water they are great.

I'm still not sure I mastered getting the ring in hook at the top of the mast. And next spring I need to flip it see how hard it is to right. I always did the 16 & 17 by myself so I'm hoping the 21 isn't as hard as some make it out to be. That being said I can't imagine flipping it unless you are trying to hold a hull up to the highest point. I'm use to the 16 when you see the wind coming and it hit digging in and trying to lift up as much as going forward. The 21 felt like someone hit the nitrous switch as all the energy went forward. It came with one trap wire and I just got in two more so I can have all three kids trap of one side.

If you want to talk more drop me your number and I'll give you a call (Bill if you want to give me a call and share any wisdom I would love to visit).
Drew - Sail #40, Hull # 174
[email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Capt. Drew,
I have sailed on Lake Texoma back in '93 at the Mid Americas Hobie Championship.What a wonderful place that is.I think we sailed out Cedar Mills.I am envious of your lake with it's size and popularity.My lake is big by Indiana standards but no where close to Texas standards.
I like attending regattas for fun and would truly like finding other 21SE to meet up at some regatta just to hang out with and help tune our boats up.The closest 21SE to me is from Cincinnati and I have never hung out with them :( My fault I guess.My buddy Eric has a 21SC and we get together at Lake Monroe.His whole family sails and they are a real hoot.I stumbled across them while on vacation at St. Andrew State Park(Panama City Beach).They were camping a few sites from us.That a great destination for Hobie sailing and perhaps a ocean rendezvous would be great fun for a group of 21's....Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was there in 93. I headed up MidAmericas in 1996. I remember my first MidAmericas where I was in the 16C class with 50 boats on the line and they had to have two course because there were over 150 Hobies. Aaaah those were the days. I was told by a good friend there is a 21 down at Lake Canyon near San Antonio that I hope to hook up with this year. I took my little 14 down to Corpus Christi this summer with two families and we had a blast. You can sail in the gulf or if swells are bad you can stay in the bay. This would be a great destination but not much closer than Destin FL. I thought Boluxi would be a good spot as it has the barrier island off shore and would be a great place to sail to in the morning. Spend the day and sail back (then gamble at night, a real sailors life). Texoma is not the prettiest lake in the world as you know with its source being the red river but it has more miles of shore line than the Texas gulf. This could be a more central location for a get together. Hope is sailing on Lake Michigan? I always thought that would be cool. Bottom line I would love to see 5-10 21's somewhere this summer.