Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying a pro angler
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need everyone opinion on this deal I'm working on with a 2010 Pro Angler. Here's the story 2010 Pro Angler, olive color, in the water about 5 times, great condition, included is a paddle (not sure of brand), hobie wheel cart, and a modified jet ski trailer...Price $1700. This will be my first Hobie and need to hear from you guys in the know if this a good deal or not. Also I heard that the steering might be a issue on this model but he said he never experienced it as yet. Should this be a red flag and something to look as a problem in the future? I've demoed the hobie angler in the past and love it. Thanks for everyone's help....

Post subject: Re: Buying a pro angler
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow. I've never seen a used PA this cheap! I've seen private parties list them for $2000 and rentals for $1900 or so. $1700 with a trailer is a steel! Did he give you any reason why he selling it?

All I can say is check it out thoroughly. If it all looks good, I'd jump on it.

The steering should be OK on a 2010, I think. See the sticky thread on the forum re: the steering drum. You can easily pull the drum cover and check to see if it s the old or new style (new style is larger).

Enjoy!

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

He's selling it because he just doesn't use it as much as he thought. He says there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. so he says. Also what would be the main things I should inspect on a used PA. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

YakSalior:

That is a great price along with the Trailer? Is this guy is out of Panhandle of Florida?

Tom "Flash" Shriver
US Army Golden Knights (Retired)
Hobie Pro Angler
Wilderness Systems Commander 140
Malibu X-Factor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Buy it, but first ask why he's selling it so cheap.......sounds to good to be true, steering might be an issue but it is an easy fix, you still have a warranty so I wouldnt be to worried if there is a problem with it hobie will replace it. good luck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds like a great deal, especially since it comes with a trailer?...Wow...
Although rare, I've heard of cracks occurring inside the mirage drive well and scupper hole wells. That would be my main concern. Check for Leaks. Second, I'd check out the Mirage Drive to make sure everything moves freely without binding up and also inspect the chains and drive gears for wear. Check the rudder by moving it up and down with the control rope. Will the rudder lock and store in full up position? It should. Check the rudder rope locking cleat to make sure it will hold the rudder in full up position. With the rudder in the full down position, move the steering handle through it's full cycle left to right, and vice versa. Does the handle move through it's cycle smoothly with limited resistance? It should. If not, check and try loosening the steering tension adjustment knob located beneath the steering handle. Next, with the rudder still in the full down position, go to the back of the PA and firmly grasp the rudder close to where it's control shaft goes through the PA's bottom hull. Try to wiggle the rudder. There should be no slop with the rudder shaft. Check the rudder spring pressure by holding the rudder leading edge and trying to move it back and upward to make sure the rudder will be able to pop up if you hit something submerged. Next, check the seat straps, then seat anchors for wear & looseness. There should be no looseness in the seat anchors...Last but not least, check bungee condition and make sure all the drain plugs are installed with their o-rings, 2 beneath the rear handle & 4 beneath seat (6 total)...Thats all I can think of to inspect other than checking for the obvious deep gouges, cuts or scraps in the hull that may require fixing to prevent leaking...Good luck...Fish-On

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yaksailor,

I've gotten pricing on 2010 PA's with trailers from $2900 to $2300.

I can buy 2010 new for $2000 - no trailer. If you listen to the earlier information regarding checking out the PA, (There are some advocates of the new steering drum and others how don't mind the original - I think it's individual preference), and it's in good shape - $1700 is a deal.

Rod Builder :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is a good deal. Without the trailer. Ask him is the trailer has the molded Hobie supports on the trailer.. If not, I would invest about $250 for this sweet deal and add the holder to the trailer... Let us know how the deal turns out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's a good deal. A very good deal. That's almost a thousand bucks off the 2011 models.

There is nothing wrong with the steering of the Pro Angler. It steers fine once you understand that like most any vehicle, you have to make constant course corrections, and being in the water, you have to allow just a few seconds for those corrections to take hold. Many folks over-correct because the change doesn't happen in a split second. Then the steering mechanism is blamed.

If you want one, you should get this one. Buy it, fish it and have fun. It's a great boat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yaksailor2 look at this website and see the trail with holders installed.. It is a jet ski trailer too... viewtopic.php?f=78&t=33277

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well just found out that I lost the deal :cry: ....Apparently he was dealing with someone else, which I didn't know and they over bid me. Wish I had known that! I thought we had the deal sewn up, was going to pick it up today. Oh well I guess a new one is on my Christmas list... Thanks everyone for your input and support.