Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, i am new to the Hobie sailing thing

my Father and i are currently looking into getting a new Hobie Getaway. we have talked to a few peaple and they say that the boat is sutible for a couple peaple to be on it and still sail smothly. i personanly dont see how this is posible seeing that it dosent look fast... and aperntly they dont come with boomes there boomless.

my question is is it a better idea to go with something a little bigger like a hobie 16+. or should we buy this boat.

also what is it like sailing a Getaway? and how would you get speed out of a boomless sail? dosent that mean that you can only go fast in closed haul?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As mentioned here often - it is best to sail a boat before you buy it, especially if you are not sure if that boat suits you. As also mentioned here, what boat is best for you depends on what you are going to do with it.

The Getaway is a very durable, very forgiving, very easy boat to sail. It is not a racer, though like all sailboats, it will go as fast as you know how to sail. I had a 17 before I got the Getaway. A great solo boat. But when friends came along, it's performance changed. It does not handle a lot of weight well. The Getaway will handle 5 or 6 people with no problem. And when you drop them off on the beach, you can still easily single hand the boat.

You see the Getaway at resorts around the world because they are tough, quick to rig and easy to sail. The simple characteristics of this boat are not a coincidence, Hobie thought this through.

Consider this, when I decided to get a Getaway, I looked on Ebay and other sites. You can find hundreds of 16's for about $1,000. I thought I could find a Getaway for the same money. Not even close. They start in the $3,500 range and are very difficult to find. When people get them - they keep them and they hold their value.

Last thought, your boom question. It goes back to racing, if you were actually trying to go from point A to point B as fast as possible, the lack of a boom would be a factor. If however, you just want to sail fast and have fun, then the lack of a boom is a nonfactor. Plus it makes the boat simpler and safer. I think it's a great boat and my wife loves the coolers.

Hope this helps -

David

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks a lot that awser all of my questions.

i think we might just invest in a getaway now, seing as you said the 17 dosent suport more than one person well. and i whant to bring my friends out and hopefully get them wet. :D

just one more question that arose, after capsising a Getaway how do you right it? and is it hard?

Post subject: Hobie 17
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I taken three adult out on my Hobie 17 all the time. Now you are not going to fly past lighter boats, but I move OK. And in 15 and up a little extra weight and you don't have to trap. As they say, try all kinks of boats before you buy. I am fixing to get a Nacra A2 as A cats are hot here.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
Soon to be Nacra A2
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Since you are new to sailing I am sure you will love the the Getaway! I introduced my daughter to sailing this summer after my wife gave me my Getaway as a Birthday present. I am very pleased with the boat. It will go as fast as the crew will allow it. It is durable , maintenance free and I have no question that my daughter will be able to take it out on het own in the spring when the ice is out. Hobie has developed a recreational boat that is challanging, fun and fast.
As newbes to sailing this ia a can't go wrong boat. I do recommend the roller furling Jib and the wings.
ENJOY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do a search on this forum on how "righting" a Hobie and you will see lots of good info. Also search at http://www.catsailor.com in the forums there. This subject has been discussed at length. Just so you know, you can still do all the cool catamaran things like hull flying and passing the monohulls in the Getaway.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO