Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seawall Launch ??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello,
I have looking at the PA for some time now and the only issue is if I can launch it from my Condo seawall. We have a carpeted board at the edge of the sewall from which I routinely launch my 10' light sit in kayak. It's fairly easy. (Climbing down the fingerpier ladder to get in is a real challange). I'm concerned if I can launch the PA the same way.
I would wheel it down to the seawall, push it on the carpet until it teeters and allow the bow to slowly hit the water. I would then push the PA until the stern is at the edge and then lower the stern slowly into the water with a rope. The distance to the water is 2-5 feet depending on the tide.
It is really quite easy with the current kayak but I'm sure a big difference with the PA. I'm a 60 something senior in realitively great shape.
Is this a crazy idea or is it possible ?
Any help or comments are apreciated.

Johnny

Post subject: Re: Seawall Launch ??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Johnny - nothing's impossible, but what you propose sounds like a contender! Getting into the water with a fully rigged PA will be a challenge. Pulling out at low tide will probably require more engineering than a rope, though. Any chance you could build a davit system, hinged somewhere between high and low water levels and use that to mechanically raise and lower your PA? See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lp7djg9DFI
for the basic idea. I am sure there are other mechanical solutions. Personally, I would much rather transport to an easier launch spot than try to pull 130+ lbs more than a couple verical feet up.
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Can you mount a small crane jib on the pier to do the lifting [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2f9Isqix_I[/youtube]

Certainly not worth hurting yourself trying to lift with a rope.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, I would love to install some type of portable davit but the Condo Board nearly had a heart attack when I submitted a request. They will not allow anything to be attached to the seawall. Also, my vehicle, a lexus 350 is not a good candidate for racks substantial enought to handle the PA.
Guess I need to get a truck !
I do a lot of Gulf Fishing in my 23 Center Console but wanted to get into the 10K islands without buying a flats boat. This seemed like a good alternative to owning and maintaining two boats.

Why am I seeing two numbers for weight 88 and 138. Where's the 50 lbs ?

Thanks for the replies,

Johnny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:41 am 
Site Admin

The lower weight number is normally the weight of plastic used in construction of the hull. For competitive comparison, we use that number because most kayaks on the market use a stripped down weight in literature. The balance is all the features we have added, seat, drive, paddle, steering systems, mounting boards etc. to make the fully rigged weight.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm 6'3" and weigh about 190. Forty one years old. I've run 6 marathons and competed in a bunch of extremely long distance triathlons. I'm pretty fit. I also recently launched from a seawall. It's VERY difficult. I did it with the help of a 6ft tall 220 lb guy and we could barely manage. Getting it out was equally hard. That said there's no reason you can't transport your Pro Angler on your Lexus. I assume (nice car, boat and condo) you can afford the $400 for a yakima or Thule rack. They're easily removable and can safely accomodate your yak. I drive a Prius and car top it alone fairly easily. You can search for examples on this very forum by searching "car topping your pro angler" or something like that. It won't scratch your car and you can remove the roof rack in under 3 minutes. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks again, If you're having trouble at your fitness level I'm going to abandon the seawall luanch. ALthough I do have a substantial tree about 10 feet from the seawall and I'm thinking if I could get a hand wench. Not sure if that is feasible. I don't mine spending $ for a good rack but had assumed that a square back vehicle or SUV with a longer roof would be a must. I guess I did not see how I could get the bow of the boat on to the rear of the rack without scratching the car. I will spend some time looking into the racks. One of the reasons I wanted to luanch from seawall is the 10K islands start right at the end of my canal. World class fishing an easy two block pedal in the Yak.
Thanks, this has been real helpful.

Johnny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very tempting indeed having such a great fishery around the corner. I have found it's much easier to load a kayak onto a car rather than a large SUV. I posted pictures of how I do it in the link below. Mine is the red Prius. I bought a steel pipe for $3 from Home Depot and wrapped it with a pool noodle. I temporarily attach it to the roof rack with a U joint and use that to "stand" the kayak. I then grab it from the back and "swing" it onto the roof rack. Very easy and you barely feel the weight. I can do this alone. I hope the link works so you can see the pictures. That said I wouldn't give up on the sea wall. Being so close to beautiful kayaking would bring out the Bob Villa / McGuiver in me. Some PVC, pool noodles and rope can probably "build" you a cheap and portable "launch", of sorts. But anyway, don't be afraid of the roof rack. Like I said it takes less than 3 minutes to take on and off. I remove mine because i had one stolen (even with locks). Best of luck! http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=20078
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=20078

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Any chance of some pics of the sea wall, possible anchor points, height off water, is it angled or a vertical lift/drop. Marvelous what you can do with a block and tackle rig.

Would you be better off with a Sport or Outback with the inflatable pontoons, it would be a lot lighter to handle?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for your response. I decided a trailer was the way to go. Then I find out both the City and the Condo prohibit any kind of trailer on resiidential property for more than 8 hours at a time. I was shocked ! Oh well, guess I'll buy a used truck and a bed extender.
As an aside I was at a fishing club meeting last night. I saw a guy I know who told me he just bought a fishing kayak. I said great what did you get ? It was a PA !

Thanks.

Johnny

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think I'd make myself some portable ramps. Couple of 2 x 6's possibly. 2 x 4's might also work. Flotation a couple feet from the one end, something to grasp the seawall "temporarily" on the other. Probably 12 footers. Carpet covered. Separation between the 2 x 6's to somehow act as a centering deal for kayak. At least for the first half of the trip. Hide em in the garage when not using them. I think the flotation would be key element but not sure of your depth at the seawall. C'mon those condo cops aren't that smart...... you can beat them. I mean, if all you're wanting to do is launch where some of the best fishing around is calling you, a little putzing around will get it done. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:lol: Yes I agree, where there is a will, there is a way; and if the fishing is that good, well what are you doing reading this, get out to the shed and start building :wink:
still think some photos will help with suggestions.