PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ed.Combs wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLcQt51JowY[/youtube]

Neat video.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might just enjoy this too,..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFXFMrZhOWY&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fascinating, Nohuhu! I have never seen one act like that either. I don't think swimming would have been a good idea. Sometimes dolphins have...uh...romantic intentions toward humans.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting. We see a lot of dolphin here, and they are definitely curious. And we have noticed a very definite relationship between Dooley the Demented and the Dolphins. His ears perk up, and he jumps on the gunwale and starts looking out to sea. Shortly thereafter one of these guys shows up.

I don't know what is said. Dooley whines, like when he wants to play. He'd jump in the water if we let him.

Not sure what the dolphin are saying. My hearing is shot. Too many years of diving, gunfire, and rock and roll music.

I am thinking the dolphin might be interested in the way the mirage drives work, too. We've noticed a lot of hawksbill turtles seem to approach us in our i14t. When they are talking with the dog, they hang around for a long time. And there is no bow wave to hold their interest. It's definitely curiosity about the dog. there is a playful air about it all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Ray wrote:
Fascinating, Nohuhu! I have never seen one act like that either. I don't think swimming would have been a good idea. Sometimes dolphins have...uh...romantic intentions toward humans.

This appeared to be one of the navy's trained minesweepers, photographed just off the marine base in Kaneohe Bay. They are not taught to attack, but are trained to be curious.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gringo, what is keeping that dog from jumping?

I have taken one of our dogs in the Adventure Island a couple of times. First time by myself, and things went great. Second time my wife was along with our other dog in her boat. He was just a little pup at the time, and whined a bit. When he would wine, my dog would go to rescue him. After dragging her soggy 80 lb butt aboard a few times, we gave up and went in.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dooley will jump in, unless we are yelling at him not to.. I think his record is diving after a four foot barracuda I had just unhooked. The dog takes it personally, and hates for us to throw fish back in. He wants to bite every one of them.

He has been on boats all his life, down here, and is totally fearless about water.

When we get hooked up fishing offshore we have to restrain him. A couple of times we have been close to some damage when he got near the business end of a freshly landed wahoo. You ever seen the teeth on those things? They are like sheet metal shears, but sharper.

We haven't taken the TI fishing yet, but it's going to be interesting. I'm thinking I will just tie a leash forward with just enough room for him to reach, say, mid-tramp.

He loses his hairy little mind when he sees a fish.

Not the same way with the dolphin at all, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Seattle, WA and more times than not, Camano Is, WA USA
Ed.Combs,
Nice video. It's so great when a critter like that comes close. You get a feeling they want to communicate, if for just a bit.
And Gringo, do you sing the song, "Hang Down Your Head Tom Dooley", to Dooley when he goes after the barracuda? :shock:
Great photos!