Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Calling all you hearty AI & TI sailors!

Yes, it's that time of year again. Come on out and start 2011 off right! Join the Chesapeake Hobie Island Group for the 3rd Annual Adventure Island Polar Bear Sail on New Years Day. Tandem Islands are, of course, invited & encouraged to join us as well! We're coordinating the outing through the Chesapeake Hobie Island Group page at meetup page.
http://www.meetup.com/Hobie-Adventure-Island-Group/

As in previous years, We'll be launching from the floating dock at Backyard Boats, 222 Severn Avenue, Annapolis, MD 21403. That puts us into Spa Creek, and the Annapolis Harbor. From there we can cruise the famous Ego Alley, or head out into the Severn River, and even the Chesapeake Bay.

Link to Google Maps
222 Severn Avenue, Annapolis, MD 21403
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=222+Severn+Avenue+Annapolis,+MD+21403&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.214763,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=222+Severn+Ave,+Annapolis,+Anne+Arundel,+Maryland+21403&t=h&z=16

The plan is to hit the water at the crack of noon, so plan to get there a little bit early so you can be rigged & ready at 12:00. It will be chilly, so dress accordingly. Dry suits & thermal layers are recommended, but an appropriate wet suit can work. That's up to you, and your own constitution.

The fleet from the Annapolis Yacht Club will be out there as well, competing in their annual Hangover Bowl regatta. The Hangover Bowl is another Annapolis New Years Day tradition, much like our Annual New Years Day Adventure Island Polar Bear Sail, except they sit in a nice dry cockpit. We'll be watching the race from the best seats in the harbor! We will want to make sure we stay out of the way of the racers though. It's just common courtesy. We can also cruise our fleet up & down Annapolis' famous Ego Alley. Bring your noise makers along and we'll celebrate the New Year in front of the City Dock.

After we finish our sail, and have the boats packed up again, we'll adjourn to the Boatyard Bar & Grill for something to warm us up. Their soups & chili are great remedies for cold toes.

This is the third year that we've done this event, and it's always been a great time. Nothing like a little fresh air to clear the head after last nights festivities! Imagine what your friends will say when you get back to work and start talking about what everyone did for New Years Day. How they gonna top this?

Mark it on your calendar, and we'll see you on New Years Day!

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Come on folks. I know that there are some hearty souls out there who are bold enough to join me for a New Years Day sail! Two weeks until the big day. Come on out and join the fun at the Chesapeake Hobie Island Group's 3rd Annual New Years Day Adventure Island Polar Bear Sail. What better way to shake out those cobwebs from the night before, than a day of brisk fresh air on the water! It's not a formal event, but there is a dress code... Dress Warmly! RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/Hobie-Adventure-Island-Group/, mostly just so I have an idea of how many to look for. It will be a fun time.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Seattle, WA and more times than not, Camano Is, WA USA
Hi Jim,
Did you ever get any response to your Christmas Day AI Polar Bear Sail invite?

I have thought of going out in this cold, but I worry about my sail cracking. I notice when out even in mid 40 degree weather, my sail sounds cracklier.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You should have come out and joined in the fun. As with the past years, it was a good time. We had two boats show up for the New Years Day Polar Bear Sail this year. It was the mildest weather we've ever had for the event, with air temperatures in the upper 40's at the start. We got on the water around 11:30 AM. After a quick trip down Annapolis' famous Ego Alley, we sailed down Spa Creek and the Severn River. We sailed out far enough to stick our bows out beyond the point and into the Chesapeake Bay. It was blowing about 10 kt out of the SE, so it made for a nice sail. Sailing back into the harbor, we sailed around and watched the racers in the Annapolis Yacht Club Hangover Bowl. We finally called it a day around 2:00, and headed back to the dock. By that time the temperature had dropped into the mid 30's, so it was getting chilly. After packing up the boats, and changing back into street clothes, we headed over to the Boatyard Bar & Grill for some warm refreshments. All in all, it was a pretty good day.

I've sailed my AI in cold temperatures a number of times, and I haven't seen any problems with my sail. I will admit that I do have a couple of small holes along the bottom of the sail, but those don't have anything to do with sailing in the cold. They both occurred while sailing in summer months, from grabbing the base of the sail to help pull it open. I'd blame them more on the fact that I've had the boat out something in the neighborhood of 300 times since I bought it in 2007. As much use as I've gotten out of my AI, I guess it's entitled to show a little wear & tear.

Overall I'd say that if you want to sail in the winter, go for it! Dress for the conditions of course (be sure to dress for the water temperature, not the air temperature), but have fun.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L