Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gringo wrote:
Do you have any idea how much those trailex parts would weigh?

All parts came in a couple small boxes via UPS.

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I crawled around under the boat on the trailer today (it's raining!!) looking for the best way to support the bow, and looking for an idea for a big roller in the back of this trailer. One of the first things I noted was that the forward TI cradle doesn't fit the hull and amas well at all where the trailer instructions say to install it. I ended up moving it aft a couple feet, to the rear side of the connection angles on the main beam. Then I lowered both cradles a couple inches, by drilling new holes in the brackets. This necessitated that I also lower the two fenders, to not rub on the now lowered boat. I still have to come up with a support for the bow, but I am thinking that two inches lower on the trailer with the two cradles about two feet closer together is going to make a big difference. Even an inch in height off the ground can make a huge difference floating a hull.

If the weather permits, tomorrow I'll give it a try. Sunday at the latest.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

for you other people who are using the Trailex aluminum trailer with your TI, I wanted to tell you to pay attention to where the amas rub against the kayak hull while on the trailer.

Sunday we were out for the first time without the trampolines deployed, they were rolled up on the front akas. The purpose was for us to see how easily we can get in and out of the boat for snorkeling ( conch diving). While sailing out to investigate a new conch diving spot, I noticed the roughed up plastic on both amas, and quickly figured out that it was where they rub against the hull when on the trailer. I ran my hand along the hull right where the center part of the amas touch it, and sure enough, it's roughed up pretty good, too.

We live a four mile drive from the nearest paved road, so a lot of mud etc. gets splashed on the boat when trailering it. I guess you wouldn't have nearly the same amount of damage in such a short time if you only trailer on smooth pavement, but even then, eventually you are going to notice the wear where the amas and hull vibrate against each other.

I am going to try putting some clear flexible tape there in the short term, to prevent further damage. I am thinking that some adhesive spacers or something similar might be the best long term solution, to prevent the amas from even touching the hull.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, I have some rubbing due to trailer. Been meaning to fix that!

Let us know how well your fixes work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I moved the boat up and back on the trailer, trying to see if there is any spot where the amas won't rub against the hull when folded in. I couldn't find one.

I took a little propane torch and lightly heated the heavily scuffed and scratched areas, to smooth out the scuffed up plastic. I figured it was better to just remelt it and keep the material on the hulls than to sand it smooth, removing material. Then I put some clear, stretchable 3M tape over the scuffs on the amas and the hulls. It lets the color show through. If I could have found yellow duct tape I would have bought that, instead.Until I come up with something else, I have discovered that just letting a loop of the mainsheet line drape down between the amas and hull will isolate them from each other. And that's all it takes.

I am looking for some kind of little stick on bumpers, like furniture protection things. It will have to be something that is not too obtrusive, and that can take the normal use. Would help if I knew what kind of adhesives stick to this stuff. Anyone know the correct name for the plastic, and what adhesives are best?

I made a little cradle thing for the bow using aluminum angle and pool noodles. Will test it out today or tomorrow. I also made some little hammock nets to replace the tramps and hold on to conch when we go conch diving . They should be good for fish, too. Will test those this weekend. Have to go renew our TCI fishing licenses first. Can post photos of any of this if there is any interest.

boat launches and loads much better now that I have lowered and moved the cradles, by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All I could find locally on the island was some small aluminum strap and angle. My first pass at coming up with something cheap and simple to secure the bow of the TI:

If this doesn't work I have another idea but so far, it is working. I need something tougher than the noodles. And it would have been good to extend the angles further to have a point to snug the bow line to.

But it's a start. Total cost about $ 20.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now I am trying to come up with a way to lift the TI and trailer together, using a single sheave in the center of a garage ceiling. I want to use a boat trailer winch attached to the wall of the garage, running up through a pulley and down to the TI/Trailex. I'm not sure that I can make it hang level from a single point very easily. I will have to move the rear cradle up substantially.

Do any of you guys know where the absolute best spots would be for the cradles on the TI hull? For my purposes, of course it would be ideal if they were equidistant from the middle of the entire boat and trailer package. I know that isn't going to happen.

Hmm...maybe a sand bag as a sliding weight along the trailer rail to balance it. Like one of those medical scales....

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gringo,

Finishing a program at end of July. Planning on rewarding myself with TI. Garage ceiling storage is something I am looking at. Harken has a system, but I was poking around for some ideas, since the Harken system will need some modifications out of the box.

Ran into this guys setup.

https://picasaweb.google.com/dwclow/Pul ... 8967687346

He also has a youtube video with demo.

Pete S.

PS. Poking through other posts, this system seems to have as many plans as the wheel.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PeteS wrote:
Gringo,

Finishing a program at end of July. Planning on rewarding myself with TI. Garage ceiling storage is something I am looking at. Harken has a system, but I was poking around for some ideas, since the Harken system will need some modifications out of the box.

Ran into this guys setup.

https://picasaweb.google.com/dwclow/Pul ... 8967687346

He also has a youtube video with demo.

Pete S.

PS. Poking through other posts, this system seems to have as many plans as the wheel.

I looked at that type setup but it's not for me. My garage is all concrete, even the ceiling. I can't easily attach all those points, and have them secure. Also, I need to lift the boat about 9 ft, and there just isn't enough room for that much block and tackle.

I am about 90% completed building this setup:

It's basically almost free standing so I don't have to drill a bunch of holes in the concrete. Tapcon screws hold the 2x10 to the concrete beam. I should have the winch rigged up and testing it later today, in fact. I bought a 1200 lb. capacity boat winch for it, with a 2" strap. I am concerned that the winch isn't big enough, and I might need a different gear ratio. But if so, that's easy to fix.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm also looking at getting a TI very soon and have been deciding between trailer vs car topping. One thing that could help you store a TI off the trailer is a Garage Gator, available for about $189 from Lowe's. Will hold 225 lb and works great. Mine is currently stuffed with bikes, golf clubs, etc. The TI is rated at 192 lb so it should be OK fully loaded. The Garage Gator has a 9 foot span so it should work well for the TI.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My issue is that the TI on the trailer weights considerably more than 190 lbs. More like 300, or even more once I pile in the drives, mast, and anchor. I am looking for a way to scoop the whole kit and kaboodle up off the floor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yep, that weight's a problem for a Garage Gator. I opted for a Harbor Freight 4x8 folding trailer for $239. I added some stuff that increased the total cost to about $400 but I believe it's a reasonable and safe strategy for hauling my new TI. I store it in my garage or at my daughters' (she's on 5 acres). Sure save a lot of time and effort in storing, rigging and launching.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Was the trailer at the beginning of this trend a Trailex sut-200S or ...?????, Hobie version???, Sut-350s???
Thanks,
Moejay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Moejay wrote:
Was the trailer at the beginning of this trend a Trailex sut-200S or ...?????, Hobie version???, Sut-350s???
Thanks,
Moejay

Which trailer are you asking about?