Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a standard video while sailing a TI. You'll see in my video that I just can't hide my excitement. :oops: :mrgreen:

Sailing downwind with infrequent 2-2.5 mtr swells coming from behind me. Occassionally the TI will suft them as the swells run past us. It was an awesome day, relatively calm ocean with moderate to strong winds. 8)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNxa6vJlJMs[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After not having my TI for nearly three weeks due to some issues with the detaching AKA, I finally got my TI back. The replacement parts have arrived and fitted by my Hobie dealer @ Caringbah.

They replaced the clips on the crossbar @ no charge. They also fixed the mirage drive and part of the retaining arm of the AKA. All at no charge.

Whilst I sometimes question the quality of the TI, I have no doubt the quality of their customer service and support is exceptional. As long as they continue to back and support their products when things fail, I'll have no problem or reason to be worried.

Hobie should be proud of their dealership @ Caringbah. I haven't had this level of great service since buying a Lexus a few years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hammer:
I have also had my AKA fall out a couple times, but not from design (mine has the latest fixes). I discovered that once in a while in my rush to get out, the tramp gets caught under the aka and it doesn't latch in properly (actually had a man overboard situation, always wanted to say that, but my sister in law didn't appeciate it very much and hasn't gone out since). Since then I always test to make sure they are snapped in. I have also had the sheer pin on the rear brace brake a couple times. Since then I always snap on a single 1/4 inch nylon safety rope about 10 ft long to the center AMA clips on both AMA's, and up in front of the front AKA cross bar. The rope doesn't need to be tight, but it does keep the AMA's from rattling around, prevents them from going back while under sail (so you get control of the boat and make repairs without turtling), and the safety rope totally prevents the AKA's from coming out while underway. I have clips at both ends and it only take me a couple seconds to put on when setting up, I just leave the rope with the hull when tearing down. Best yet it give me piece of mind in rough seas, that the boat is secure. Prior to this mod I wasn't comfortable in rough seas watching those AMA rattling around and trying to come off the bungies, and knowing the only thing holding the AMA's out was a small 1 /4 inch plastic piece designed to break. I used nylon rope because it stretches.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Bob.

My TI is a 2011 model so it should have the latest clips.

The first time it happened, I thought it was me not paying enough attention when initially attaching the akas.

Since that episode, I made sure each time the akas were attached they were wiggled and given a quick pull to ensure they're clicked-in.

But when it happened again in rough (choppy) seas, I just had to informed Hobie.

To their credit, they admit it shouldn't detach as it did and went about correcting it. While I hope this fix will prevent anymore detachment, I'm not taking any chances. So I too have now set-up a retaining line using bungee cord. I'll post some pix soon on my setup.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Hammer. The TI certainly looks the part. Dunno about the operator though :lol: Are you heading towards Broughton in this clip ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.