Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 Adults 3 Kids
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What do you think the best configuration would be to get all of us out on the water. I am thinking two tandoms? I think we can fit one more on a tandom in the back... any suggestions on a good configuration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Howdy-What are the ages of your kids? Where in SoCal are you?

Post subject: ages
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in South Orange County. Ages are: twins that are six years old and my oldest daughter is 10.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Twins, you've got your hands full for sure. I think your 10 year old could have her own kayak, that would be a nice vote of confidence for her. Of course, make her wear a PFD, maybe even get her to learn how to swim(personally, I think any kid should learn how to swim).
A couple tandems and a single sounds like a good call, get the whole family out there. Start off in sheltered water like harbors and bays.
Being out on the water with the whole family sounds like a great idea. If you ask me, the best part of California is that big thing to the west. Take the whole crew down to the local kayak dealer and test out a few of the kayaks before you buy. Keep in mind you've got to transport the kayaks and gear around somehow.

Post subject: two tandems
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes they can all swim very very well. That is something we worked on when they were 2. They can all do flips into the water now.

What I am thinking is two tandems but I don't know how hard it will be to put the extra kid on the tandem. I think the mirage tandem is larger than the outfitter.

I tested the outfitter today at Newport Harbor with my 10 year old an I. It was a perfect day today.

I did notice it was tricky to paddle from the back.. easy to get off track when you don't have your hand on the rudders stearing.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you pedal a Mirage tandem, the person in the back will have to control the rudder. If you have a paddle kayak, the person in the rear will have to learn to work the rudder and paddle at the same time.
I've never used a two-person kayak, but spent plenty of time in canoes. There are techniques you can use with your paddle to steer a pretty good sized boat with the rudder amidships. Or, stow the paddle for a second while you work the rudder. Kind of like sailing, you've got to work the sails and the rudder to control the boat, same with kayaking, only with pedals/paddles and the rudder.
Go for a couple of test drives.
Stoked your kids can swim. I'd bet if you keep taking them to the beach, they will all want to surf someday. The ocean is the best thing, there is no place better on earth than the sand and sea.