Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have attempted to repair a soft spot on each hull with marginal results. I used git rot on the first one and it only helped a little. Maybe I drilled the holes too deep, but, it seemed like the right depth on the first hull as the resin filled up to the top. On the other hull there are a few spots where it seems that there is nothing underneath. Could the delamination be too bad for repair to be possible. Anyway I was thinking of putting a patch on top by building up layers of cloth and resin. Has anyone tried this and how did it work?

Thanks,

Eric

Post subject: soft spots
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can only speak to what I had to do to my hulls. I picked up a 1980 18 that had been sitting stearn end in the drink for a long time, the rear transom and the first 2 feet of hull bottom were soft. What I had to do was drill 1/8" dia. holes approx, every 1 sq. inch in order to drain existing water and that took about 3 weeks and I do mean three weeks. Then I mixed West System epoxy with a small amount of filler and began to inject this into the holes. What I wanted to do was back fill behind the holes with material so as to build a solid surface inside the hull. Then for the hole fill stage I filled the holes with same mixture not to much powder and covered the holes with wax paper. After dry time sand then two step urea paint with primer.
That part of the hull is stronger that new without to much weight add on.
Remember let the hulls and holes dry out before any fill work.
This works however I had to break down the boat in order to handle the hulls movement required to do this work in stages and in small areas. The fill work needs to be done alittle bit at a time or it gets sloppy and the mixture can get warm if to thick.
Hope this helps
Harvey 1979 16. 1980 18( in mint shape ) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think the players of glass on top would give you the desired results. The strength of the foam core construction comes from teh different layers being bonded togeather. Just to check if you did everything correctly:

1) Did you drill breather holes near the outside edge of the soft spot to give the air somehwere to go and as a check that you injected enough Git Rot?

2) The holes you did trill, they only went through the top layer of glass into the foam and not through the bottom layer?

3) When you thought you were done, if you gave the bottle one last squeeze did any resin come back through the fill hole? You don't want to put too much extra in, just enough to have a little bit of it seep out of the fill hole.

These are the only questions I can ask to see if the repair was completed properly.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO