Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:) Hey Matt! It's Valentines Day...and well...thought it was time to apologize for giving you such a rough time.

Everyone appreciates what you bring to this forum. Only someone with your knowledge of lessons-learned in development of the AI and other sail craft can understand what its going to take to develop a Bow-Plane that reduces diving without placing too much stress on the hull. While I know development/testing takes time, I'm willing to wait, even if a more costly fix (e.g., modifed upturned amas) proves to be the only safe, trustworthy fix.

Let's hope the bow-plane works.

Thanks for listening...and all you do...even for crotchety old farts.

Very Respectully,

W. A. Waller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh yeah, just make sure it fits on the Revo too - this would be a VERY handy addition...

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just wondering if there's any news on whether (or not) there will be a retro-fittable wave-deflector from Hobie?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've heard a whisper of something that may be made locally in Sydney to fit the AI. I'll see if I can dig up some more info. I did suggest there may be international interest on these.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any update on this?

My A.I. is still a few weeks away, but I'm keen to get something like this.

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mingle wrote:
Any update on this?

My A.I. is still a few weeks away, but I'm keen to get something like this.

Cheers,

Mike.

Might ring my sources and find out what happend.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It'd be a great addition...

One of the regulars over on AKFF (Mat Coburn) has one on his A.I.

He does some serious touring and really knows his stuff... He swears by it.

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've been watching the bow of our new TI dip under the waves, and soaking my wife up front ( NO that's not why she's riding in the front!!.)

My thoughts on it have been revolving around how I could make one that did not require me to drill holes in the boat at all. I was thinking of popping a fiberglass mold off the boat, and then making a mockup of the actual bow from the mold. THEN laying up more of a bow 'boot' that slides over the entire bow, and has diagonally slanted strakes or fins on both sides. I envision this bow boot thingy ( not a great name for it) actually performing three functions at once.
1.) It could have lifting planes, fins, strakes whatever the term is to lift the bow by translating forward motion through the hydrodynamic forces on the strakes.

2.) It would strengthen the upper deck part of the bow and be a place to screw fittings for a jib, or other foresails, even a bow sprit, without drilling holes in the original boat. A decent anchor bale could be here, too.

3.) It would put a tough 'skid plate' layer under the bow, to help protect the boat when beaching, etc.
URL=http://img806.imageshack.us/i/tibow.jpg/]Image[/URL]
This entire "nose cone" thing could be fitted over the TI nose and held in place with something like RTV (silicon) or Marine Goop. No holes in the plastic hull at all. The forces imparted to it by the jib, lifting, and grounding actions would all be forces that help hold it on the boat, without any forces trying to pull it off.

I was thinking someone with Hobie's resources could make a roto mold that was two of these things end to end ( like an ama) which could then be vertically cut in half, into two 'bow shoes", getting two pieces from each casting.

Or it could be two pieces, with bolt-together flanges that let you squeeze the bow between them, and the flanges also being the now-doubled material of the lifting strakes.

But then I dream a lot while sailing..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've thought about this too and have similar idea's to Gringo's ... but

1) I'd rake it at about a 60 deg. angle top to bottom ( more on the bottom) to try avoiding any localized vertical stress risers

2) instead of gluing it on, have it lashed back to the X-bar on each side so it would be removable.

With the foward rake design, and backwards pressure on the device from foward movement, I dont think keeping it in place would be much of an issue.

strake is a good description but when I think about this, Im picturing seaplane hull designs and the steep "Chine's" used

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Something like this?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No, more like this:

It's actually to keep the nose of the A.I. from submarining so much - it's not designed to prevent spray from the bow...

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As you could see from the spray pattern, it's not a spray shield, but a flexible wave deflector, which can accept different-length plastic wings, depending on sea conditions.

I love that nose piece on the red hobie though. Would be perfect if the bow's leading edge line was continuous. Then put one on each Ama!

Is someone moulding these for sale yet?

Post subject: Aussie Source?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To Mingle, et al...
Anyone building a wave deflector to fit a TI yet?

How many AIs and TIs sold?!?!...and few after-market add-ons!
It appears that here in the US if you can't sell a million and make millions
nothing gets made any longer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi guys,

Since there's another thread discussing teh same issue, I thought I'd post a link, for those who haven't already seen it :-)

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20395

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking for a Spirit Wave Deflector?

I had a Spirit CRT and bought a deflector for $60 Australian about 3 years ago from a company called Capacity Sports , located in Sandringham (melbourne).
They are still spirit agents. They are on the web and Im sure they would post to you. They are real helpful. Worth a call.

With regards to fit. Suspend AI by stern. Fill nose with cold water. Heat deflector gently with a heat gun and push over AI as a mould. If not confident to do this get a plastics welder to help. Deflecters attach with a single thru bolt each side. On a AI I would glue a block on the inside to spread the load.

These deflectors make a big difference to stop pearling,( or as you may call submarining ) when the ski picks up a wave.

Whilst on the subject do you know where I can get 20 TriFold rivets commonly used on kayaks in situations where you cannot get behind to use washer and nut. Here in Oz they only seem to sell by the thousand. Regards Mung

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next